87 k10 tpi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hi guys i am new here, as soon as i get some money i plan on switching my 87 k10 over to TPI, Now im 16 and im an amature mechanic, i help my uncle work ( he owns a mercedes garage) so i know quite a bit but tpi on a chevy pickup is new to me,the truck is a 350 with TBI, and it has the plow package (Quad shocks ect.) if that matters. and the intake i want to use is out of a TPI camaro. any info on install would be great -Thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi guys i am new here, as soon as i get some money i plan on switching my 87 k10 over to TPI, Now im 16 and im an amature mechanic, i help my uncle work ( he owns a mercedes garage) so i know quite a bit but tpi on a chevy pickup is new to me,the truck is a 350 with TBI, and it has the plow package (Quad shocks ect.) if that matters. and the intake i want to use is out of a TPI camaro. any info on install would be great -Thanks

Its pretty much a bolt on setup. Do you have to pass emissions inspections?

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Really? Someone said i had to put a highflow fuel pump and possibly injectors, i just need to pull the intake computer and engine wiring harness off the camaro right?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Really? Someone said i had to put a highflow fuel pump and possibly injectors, i just need to pull the intake computer and engine wiring harness off the camaro right?

yup, thats it. you will need the camaro fuel pump, it will install in place of your current pump. It is higher pressure than your tbi pump. you will also need the trans and throttle cables from the camaro. the throttle cable opening in your fire wall will need to be cut into a rectangle, as it is a square opening right now. takes about 5 minutes with a hacksaw blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzg8TWyyTMo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
wow, really nice work, im jealous. which trans does it need to have the 700r4? because if so i belive it already has that tranny.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
wow, really nice work, im jealous. which trans does it need to have the 700r4? because if so i belive it already has that tranny.

If your 87 is an auto, it may be the 700r4. I think the th350 was still an option back then. Trans doesn't matter, as long as you have the correct Calibration in the computer for manual or automatic.
If you really want simplicity, you can use the current 87 TBI harness and computer to run a TPI induction setup. How are you with wiring? This wouldnleave you with a very clean install, and will save you time, because you dont have to swap harnesses. You will need to have the chip recalibrated, but this is small peanuts.

Last edited:

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
sorry for the wait, my computer was down, im pretty good with wiring i can solder ect. so long as i have a retty good idea of what im doing

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
sorry for the wait, my computer was down, im pretty good with wiring i can solder ect. so long as i have a retty good idea of what im doing

ok, so your existing computer will need what is called the port mod, in order to run 8 injectors.
your wiring harness will have to be modified to accomodate 8 injectors...all your doing, is cuttin the red, blue, green and white wires, and splicing them to the mpfi right and left injector harnesses.
There Might be some differences in the throttle position sensor plug, depending on what TPS you have(send me a pic of the left side of your throttle boday, and i will be able to tell. otherwise, everything is the same. One sensor you will not have, that is in TPI, is an air temp sensor. just leavenitnin the manifold as a plug.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
i have put in a tuneport also. There is some different parts for a 305 that a 350 like knock sensor and injectors. I live in mass also where do you live? I have a extra intake and some left over parts too. I haven't had much luck with the system I cant get it to run perfect. I can't run it with the maf plugged in. I have tried 3 new ones and by now I have changed every electronic part on the motor. But it runs and looks cool just runs rich . I my self think a tbi would be easer and wish i had that now .

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i have put in a tuneport also. There is some different parts for a 305 that a 350 like knock sensor and injectors. I live in mass also where do you live? I have a extra intake and some left over parts too. I haven't had much luck with the system I cant get it to run perfect. I can't run it with the maf plugged in. I have tried 3 new ones and by now I have changed every electronic part on the motor. But it runs and looks cool just runs rich . I my self think a tbi would be easer and wish i had that now .
He will be able to use his TBI sensor set if he does the port mod, he would just be changing th number of injectors, and the intake manifold.
John, I must invite you to gearhead-efi.com. We can help you with those issues. See your pm's

Last edited:

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I dont have a camera, its a stock intake from a 305 camaro, around the same year as the truck.

adinpoor1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
also can you specify which wires go into which side of the MPFI harness?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
also can you specify which wires go into which side of the MPFI harness?

The green and white go to the drivers side, the red and blue to the passenger side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64