86 c10 gauge swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99x-cabsport5.7L

Reaction score
First Name
J P
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i've inherited an 86 c10 with a 4.3L and I've searched but haven't quite found what i'm looking for. The truck came with the dummy lights as i call them and I've gotten all of the gauge cluster items to swap from the lights to the gauges, and from what i've read my water temp sensor may work, however the oil pressure gauge is where i'm having trouble.

The 4.3 in it uses the two prong switch for the light, and from the wiring diagram uses a dif wire from the v8's with gauges at the instrument panel connector, is it possible to just run a wire from the gauge connector in the v8 location to a gauge style pres sender? Or is there any other way to convert the gauges?

I don't like the look of aftermarket gauges in that body style truck. I was basically given the 3 gauge clusters, lens, etc and i plan to swap a v8 in the truck later on.
thanks in advance for help.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Going from idiot lights to gauges requires repining the cluster plug and sensers replaced. Ive never done it but Ive read a little about it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This topic has come up a few times on this forum. Honestly, I woudln't mind having the idiot lights dash, but. I'd a run and aftermarket gauge Trio. Oil Pres, Water Temp and Volt guage. Alot of times you won't be paying attention to guages, and its cool when those big llights come on to warn you to check your guages. Or if someone like a Gf drives your truck and doesn't haven't a clue good oil pressure from bad, or what temp is hot?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
This topic has come up a few times on this forum. Honestly, I woudln't mind having the idiot lights dash, but. I'd a run and aftermarket gauge Trio. Oil Pres, Water Temp and Volt guage. Alot of times you won't be paying attention to guages, and its cool when those big llights come on to warn you to check your guages. Or if someone like a Gf drives your truck and doesn't haven't a clue good oil pressure from bad, or what temp is hot?

That's why I have a "check gages(sic)" light...

99x-cabsport5.7L

Reaction score
First Name
J P
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Would I have to repin the whole connector or just the two pins for the oil pressure? I haven't got to worry about my g/f driving it, it hasn't got a working a/c or radio. lol I have the papers and info from when it was bought new, was it common for a c10 to come with a th400 behind a 4.3, and then have 2.73 rear gears?
thanks

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Would I have to repin the whole connector or just the two pins for the oil pressure? I haven't got to worry about my g/f driving it, it hasn't got a working a/c or radio. lol I have the papers and info from when it was bought new, was it common for a c10 to come with a th400 behind a 4.3, and then have 2.73 rear gears?
thanks
I dont think you have to repin the hole connecter but some of the wires definately need to be moved, I just dont know wich ones or how many.

My neighbor has a 85 GMC that originally came with a 4.3V6 (has 305 now) and its got a TH400 in it with the kick down switch on the foot pedal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1