85 c10 square body no spark HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, RockAuto sells them. Just don't get the Canadian model dstributor if you're running an ESC distributor and want to keep doing so.

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I have never disassembled the distributor just to check the pick up coil. I check it with the distributor still in the engine.. In a properly functioning unit, as the distributor spins, it generates a low voltage signal. I first check all the components for physical damage. Distributor bushing/shaft wear will sometimes allow the rotor teeth to contact the stator teeth, damaging them. 90% of the pick up coil failures are due to a broken lead.. Use an analog meter for testing... Disconnect the coil from the ICM and test it's resistance.. The specs are -- 500 to 1500 ohms.. If the resistance is ok, connect an analog meter to the pick up coil leads. Set the meter to the 5 volt AC scale.. Spin the engine over and read the voltage output.. It doesn't take much voltage to "trigger" the Icm.. If voltage is present, the pick up coil is good.. If the coil is bad, THEN it's time to remove the distributor and disassemble it..

The video is well presented but it is senseless to go through all that labor when you don't have to..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have never disassembled the distributor just to check the pick up coil. I check it with the distributor still in the engine.. In a properly functioning unit, as the distributor spins, it generates a low voltage signal. I first check all the components for physical damage. Distributor bushing/shaft wear will sometimes allow the rotor teeth to contact the stator teeth, damaging them. 90% of the pick up coil failures are due to a broken lead.. Use an analog meter for testing... Disconnect the coil from the ICM and test it's resistance.. The specs are -- 500 to 1500 ohms.. If the resistance is ok, connect an analog meter to the pick up coil leads. Set the meter to the 5 volt AC scale.. Spin the engine over and read the voltage output.. It doesn't take much voltage to "trigger" the Icm.. If voltage is present, the pick up coil is good.. If the coil is bad, THEN it's time to remove the distributor and disassemble it..

The video is well presented but it is senseless to go through all that labor when you don't have to..
This DUDE is correct......o_O

Last edited:

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
No thank you I have enough pests here than I can comfortably deal with. Lol
But these are special fleas.. They're the rare non hopping dromedary crotch fleas... I know you'll like them.......

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
But these are special fleas.. They're the rare non hopping dromedary crotch fleas... I know you'll like them.......
Nope the climate here is all wrong for them here. You seem to be attached to the lil fellers so you keep them in warm Texas. To cold for them up here in the north east.

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Nope the climate here is all wrong for them here. You seem to be attached to the lil fellers so you keep them in warm Texas. To cold for them up here in the north east.
Well the... Let's see.... What can I do???.... I know.. I'll send you one of these.. They don't eat much...
You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Or, I could send you one of these.... I have plenty..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well the... Let's see.... What can I do???.... I know.. I'll send you one of these.. They don't eat much...
I’ll take it can it run fast? Because my little Killer dog would love to play with it. What is it a zebronkey?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06