85 c10 square body no spark HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New_Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just got the truck for my dad and we have absolutely 100% no spark I replaced the battery, coil, distributor cap, rotor, icm, plugs, and plug wires. Please help I'm at my whits end! Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Silly question, for starters, when you crank the motor, does the distributor shaft turn?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you have a full 12 volts to the distributor?.

New_Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Silly question, for starters, when you crank the motor, does the distributor shaft turn?
Yes it does

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Another thing, have you checked the pick-up coil to see if it's good? It's the gizmo under the rotor that the ignition module plugs into, should be two wires with a plug end, can check it with an ohm meter. Easiest to check with distributor removed and rotate it by hand checking across the wires, then to the distributor body to make sure bearing didn't go bad and short it out.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Pickup coil test below. I agree, best to test it with the distributor removed, but you can get an idea of whether it's working or not with it in there. I've tested it with it in there before.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's important that you don't have too much of a voltage drop when cranking. Also, don't discount your new ICM failing on you. The house brand ones are trash, and I even did an AC Delco replacement that lasted for three seconds and burnt out. I had to re-replace it, and then it worked after that. What brands of parts are you using? I like the BWD ignition coil because it's easier to get your hands on and still works well and then everything else AC Delco.

New_Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Another thing, have you checked the pick-up coil to see if it's good? It's the gizmo under the rotor that the ignition module plugs into, should be two wires with a plug end, can check it with an ohm meter. Easiest to check with distributor removed and rotate it by hand checking across the wires, then to the distributor body to make sure bearing didn't go bad and short it out.
I did the test on that before I replaced the icm and that tested good but I didn't do it out of the truck.

New_Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, did you check how much voltage you have while cranking?.
If I remember correctly I did, but I'll double check to be sure.

New_Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Pickup coil test below. I agree, best to test it with the distributor removed, but you can get an idea of whether it's working or not with it in there. I've tested it with it in there before.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's important that you don't have too much of a voltage drop when cranking. Also, don't discount your new ICM failing on you. The house brand ones are trash, and I even did an AC Delco replacement that lasted for three seconds and burnt out. I had to re-replace it, and then it worked after that. What brands of parts are you using? I like the BWD ignition coil because it's easier to get your hands on and still works well and then everything else AC Delco.
I'll look into it, I'm almost tempted to replace the whole distributor with a msd brand one.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If I remember correctly I did, but I'll double check to be sure.

Yeah, wouldn't hurt, if you have too much of a drop you won't have enough for the coil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06