Spark, Fuel, Crank but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mqbaity

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400cid V8
Hello everyone forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Me and my pawpaw recently pulled his dads 76 K10 out of storage after almost 10 years. Threw a new tank, sending unit, fuel filter on and fired up like it had never stopped. After a couple trips around town after warming up the truck would occasionally act sluggish and jerky but would usually stop after a minute or two until finally it sputtered out in park and would not start again. It will crank all day but will not run, have been watching a bunch of revival videos lately since while I'm not new to technical work I am very new to mechanical work if that makes sense. And I know you need spark, fuel, and air so my first instinct was spark since some of the plug wires had seen better days. I've replaced the distributer cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs and have visually verified that fuel is being sprayed into the carburetor as well have in-line tested the plug wires. All seems to be in order and yet it will not run even on starting fluid, will occasionally sputter but that is all. Very confused since it went from running well to not at all. Any help appreciated thank you.

mqbaity

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400cid V8
How would I check that? I’ve seen people use timing lights but I thought it had to be running to check that way?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
You pull No 1 plug,, turn engine over by hand till piston is at top dead center on compression stroke then see if rotor is pointing at No 1 plug on dist cap.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Take a negative jumper cable hook it to ground,clamp an old plug in the other end open the gap up to about .090 put a plug wire on the plug and check for spark.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay this is just my feelings,but it wouldn't stumble stall restart run awhile,run good run bad. Because of a timing chain, it d8dnt run good,lose compression run bad regain compression run good and die now not have not enough compression to start. I would believe the carb needs work and it would flood and now it's flooded,I would believe a coil or module was failing and his inline spark tester would light with a lawn mower coil. Really IDK but losing compression all the sudden or intermittent timing chain failure aren't on the top of my list.

mqbaity

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400cid V8
Ok fellas I got of work and checked both things. The old spark plug sparked just fine when hooked up and the rotor pointed to #1 at TDC. Any thoughts?

mqbaity

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400cid V8
In regards to flooding I also pulled several plugs to check if they had gas on them and none did

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag