82 Dodge D 350... Hate to ask....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
LA 360's are solid plants, they respond very nicely to standard hop up procedures. late LA's (1985ish) were roller cam engines and then the Magnum engines were all roller engines and featured a set of redesigned heads (think of it like vortec heads for sbc's) Magnum engines can be reverted to LA trim with changing the front cover and adding an eccentric to run a mechanical fuel pump from.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Back in the day our company had lots of those Dodges. Yes as stated, the 360 is a fine engine. Two things I remember that are important about the engine. The distributor rotor can get rusted in place. If you try to pry it off, sometimes you will bend the distributor shaft. After you finish the tune-up and go to start the engine it will not fire on all the cylinders.

The trick to remove a stuck rotor, is to take a small ball-peen hammer, strike the rotor straight down from the top and it breaks into pieces.

The other issue to be aware of, if it is fitted with the thermoquad carburetor, the plastic(Bakelite) housings warp.

On the body, check the firewall around the master cylinder, they crack. Also the radiator support can crack. The operators would complain about spongy brake pedal. Then after looking at all the brakes, find the firewall would flex 3/4 of an inch when pushing the brake pedal. This was so common it became a check point on the PM list. These are easy fixes for you, as you are a welder.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Back in the day our company had lots of those Dodges. Yes as stated, the 360 is a fine engine. Two things I remember that are important about the engine. The distributor rotor can get rusted in place. If you try to pry it off, sometimes you will bend the distributor shaft. After you finish the tune-up and go to start the engine it will not fire on all the cylinders.

The trick to remove a stuck rotor, is to take a small ball-peen hammer, strike the rotor straight down from the top and it breaks into pieces.

The other issue to be aware of, if it is fitted with the thermoquad carburetor, the plastic(Bakelite) housings warp.

On the body, check the firewall around the master cylinder, they crack. Also the radiator support can crack. The operators would complain about spongy brake pedal. Then after looking at all the brakes, find the firewall would flex 3/4 of an inch when pushing the brake pedal. This was so common it became a check point on the PM list. These are easy fixes for you, as you are a welder.
About the body, sometimes the doors fall off!!!.....LOL

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size

Good information, I do appreciate it. Going to look at it once this weather clears out. The wench interest me as much as the whole truck, prob give less for this whole rig than I can find the winch for.
Appreciate it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop