8.1L/4L80E swap into 84 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
84 dually, what steering column are you using now that you'll have a 4 speed? I want a 4L80E in my truck and want to start putting together a parts list.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Steering column is out of a 91 suburban. Get the wiper control from under the column if it has intermittent wipers. Think any square body truck with a od trans will work. Your current column will work fine. You just won't have the ability to go the manual
1st gear in the 4l80E. D will be in the od position.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Decided to rewire the truck using a painless harness for the 73-87 trucks. Well built harness with every wire stenciled with where it goes. Directions also mentions where it started. Stripped ALL the wiring from the truck and started over. Had to repin the dash plug to match the 91 electrical speedo dash. Everything else was ran to the system it ran and terminated to match the factory plug for that system. Now have intermittent wipers thanks to the 91 column. Engine harness is from Howell efi. Was a plug and play harness that went in real easy. Only problem was I forgot to tell them that the alt was on the pass side of the engine and the plug to the alt was too short. They made up a extension harness and sent it out with no charge. They also sent the ecm set up for my app. I went ahead and bought the oxy sensors from them as well. Figured it would save time trying to figure out the right one to use. Wiring took up the bulk of the time spent on the truck so far. Still have a couple of systems too do but it is looking up. Next up is pre lubing the engine before firing it up. Looking to build/buy a pre lube tank to do it. Any ideas?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Decided to rewire the truck using a painless harness for the 73-87 trucks. Well built harness with every wire stenciled with where it goes. Directions also mentions where it started. Stripped ALL the wiring from the truck and started over. Had to repin the dash plug to match the 91 electrical speedo dash. Everything else was ran to the system it ran and terminated to match the factory plug for that system. Now have intermittent wipers thanks to the 91 column. Engine harness is from Howell efi. Was a plug and play harness that went in real easy. Only problem was I forgot to tell them that the alt was on the pass side of the engine and the plug to the alt was too short. They made up a extension harness and sent it out with no charge. They also sent the ecm set up for my app. I went ahead and bought the oxy sensors from them as well. Figured it would save time trying to figure out the right one to use. Wiring took up the bulk of the time spent on the truck so far. Still have a couple of systems too do but it is looking up. Next up is pre lubing the engine before firing it up. Looking to build/buy a pre lube tank to do it. Any ideas?

hmmm, what is a pre lube tank? :shrug: Learn me something new. :crazy:

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Pre lube tank? Tank filled with oil and pressurized with air. Hook it up to a oil port on the engine and pump the oil in. Works on any engine but best on later engines that have no way to turn over the oil pump without spinning over the engine. In my case the 8.1 has sat for awhile and want to make sure the bearings etc have oil upon startup. A couple of manufacturers make them but looking for a cheaper option.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Glad to hear the Painless harness worked well. I have the same one waiting in the box for my 86.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Do you happen to have the exact part number for the painless harness you used? I'm thinking I'd like to redo mine as well.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Looks to be the exact one I would want. It's a pretty penny but will probably be the best investment I've made on the truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Pre lube tank? Tank filled with oil and pressurized with air. Hook it up to a oil port on the engine and pump the oil in. Works on any engine but best on later engines that have no way to turn over the oil pump without spinning over the engine. In my case the 8.1 has sat for awhile and want to make sure the bearings etc have oil upon startup. A couple of manufacturers make them but looking for a cheaper option.

Oh I get it. Forgot all about 8.1 and dizzyless motor wo access to the oil pump.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Oh I get it. Forgot all about 8.1 and dizzyless motor wo access to the oil pump.

I had never thought about either- guess I learned something today. :hahano:

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Installed the front clip. Ran the engine oil and transmission cooler lines. Using external coolers mounted in front of the rad.
You must be registered for see images attach

Been threw 4 drive belts and still haven't got one long enough. Lower hose if off a 6.2 diesel. Will have to add a spacer as the w/p inlet is smaller than the 6.2. If using a 454 style rad, a hose for that app will work without mods. Currently working on the air inlet system that will gain air from the stock inlet hole next to the rad.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Finished up the air intake system. Parts from Spectra Performance. Looks good and receives air through the factory inlet hole in the radiator support. Got the idea off the web from another swap but used a couple of different pieces

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado