'79 Camaro Restomod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have one I need to do this to. Yours looks like it came that way, good job.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Slow progress, but progress none the less. This weekend I'll haul the subframe and some other things to the car wash to hopefully clean the heavier crud off. There's some minor repair that needs done around the steering box area, I'd like to fix that while taking care of Chris' subframe too. Just get it done all in one shot.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also don't think I'm going to do a complete teardown on the subframe right now. Just crack all the bolts loose and snug em up again, while it's all easy to get at. Future plans call for tubular arms, coilovers, etc and I don't want to put all the stock stuff back together again... just to take it off later. I'll just clean it all up best as possible and slather some paint on it. Should still turn out presentable.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Slow progress, but progress none the less. This weekend I'll haul the subframe and some other things to the car wash to hopefully clean the heavier crud off. There's some minor repair that needs done around the steering box area, I'd like to fix that while taking care of Chris' subframe too. Just get it done all in one shot.

What the crap man? You didn’t do that yet. Here I am bored out of my skull. I would of been more then happy to knock that out. Lol I’m just bust’n your balls.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I feel like a slacker, lol. Of course I was in VA for the last month too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that looks familiar for sure.

I'm still working on crud cleanup and then some prime/paint for my parts. My press came in going to try and do bushings today I guess.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

perfect opportunity to blast it and paint it so you wont have to remove stuff to do it later or cover rust.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
perfect opportunity to blast it and paint it so you wont have to remove stuff to do it later or cover rust.

I'm going to wire wheel it all and paint the subframe with graphite paint. The stuff doesn't chip or peel and protects against rust really well. Obviously, things like steering box, sway bar and stuff will come off for cleaning/painting. But if I pull the springs and arms, I'm not going to want to put that crap back on since those aren't going to be staying. I want the car running and driving and new springs and arms aren't in the budget yet.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm going to wire wheel it all and paint the subframe with graphite paint. The stuff doesn't chip or peel and protects against rust really well. Obviously, things like steering box, sway bar and stuff will come off for cleaning/painting. But if I pull the springs and arms, I'm not going to want to put that crap back on since those aren't going to be staying. I want the car running and driving and new springs and arms aren't in the budget yet.

I thought you had bought delalum or delrin bushings for those arms already or were you going to? I wished I had the coin to do tubular upper and lowers, trying to install bushings is pissing me off. I wished I had went poly they might squeak but I had no issues putting them in the s10 with just a c clamp, some sockets, a piece of 1/4 thick steel and a hammer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I bought solid aluminum subframe bushings. I can't really check the ball joints that well with no weight on the front, but the bushings and all steering linkage seem great. Except the rag joint.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sometimes "while I am there" jobs do need to stop if it is easy to get back to it. Looks great so far. Need some more info on the graphite paint. Been reading lawnmower guys use it for their decks but they do not have much of good things to say about it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sometimes "while I am there" jobs do need to stop if it is easy to get back to it. Looks great so far. Need some more info on the graphite paint. Been reading lawnmower guys use it for their decks but they do not have much of good things to say about it.

Exactly. I don't want a this car sitting in my garage for years. If something can be easily done later, and better, then that's what I want to do. But if it's far easier to do it now, I'll do it now.

The graphite paint is called EZ Slide. You can get it in quart and gallon cans, as well as aerosol cans. The aerosol version is best for touch up or applications that are too difficult to roll or brush on. But it protects from the elements very well and goes on easy with no primer or anything. Just clean metal is all that's needed. If it weren't so hard to sand back off, I'd paint my entire Burb with the stuff.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Exactly. I don't want a this car sitting in my garage for years. If something can be easily done later, and better, then that's what I want to do. But if it's far easier to do it now, I'll do it now.

The graphite paint is called EZ Slide. You can get it in quart and gallon cans, as well as aerosol cans. The aerosol version is best for touch up or applications that are too difficult to roll or brush on. But it protects from the elements very well and goes on easy with no primer or anything. Just clean metal is all that's needed. If it weren't so hard to sand back off, I'd paint my entire Burb with the stuff.
Do it!!! Could you imagine redoing mine lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120