'79 Camaro Restomod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm bored so I'm just gonna leave these here if you don't mind @bucket

You must be registered for see images attach

no clue why I didn't do this when I got em lol instead of trying to figure out how to send em to ya. Anyways story went, I had a buddy with a camaro he was parting, I needed some stuff for my trans am and Andy informed me he needed some camaro stuff. So we got em at my place until andy can come thru and pick em up. He wanted some fenders to use for templates on cutting the fender vents out, and these turned out to be pretty nice and complete. They have the lower front extensions drilled for the z28 flares, and they have the vents and the inners. He also told me the deklid on the 79 had a good bit of rust around the seam, so this one is pretty solid, and even has a spoiler with no cracks or chips and seems to have all studs intact. he also told me the inner housings of the 79 tails were in several pieces so we got them too. I also knew the front bumper had a larger tear, this one has a small one not bad.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey yeah, this is a good place for those pictures!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Time for an update. Over the last few months I've aquired a lot of parts for the car. I changed my mind yet again, I'd like to focus on cleaning/painting the subframe and getting it moving under it's own power. So I have picked up an LT1 style T56, a slightly used 355 crate motor with vortec heads and also a vortec style serpentine setup. And also a set of windstar fans.

No pictures at the moment, the garage is a disorganized mess. But speaking of the garage, I have also put in new lighting, so I can actually see in there to work when the sun goes down.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Progress is progress! I love a mess, let’s see it with the new lights.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Here's the engine and trans. A friend made me a really good deal on the engine, it's a Blueprint 355 with maybe 1K on it. The dyno sheet said it made 390 hp. The trans has around 90K on it, but it's believed to have been rebuilt around 75K. Should be a lot of fun with a 4.10 rear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and the new garage lights. They are 4ft LED lights that Rural King sells for 25 bucks a pop. I put in 8 of them, about a foot above the rafters. So when I find a home for all the parts stashed in the rafters, the lighting should improve even more.

And yes, the garage is still a disorganized mess.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Looks great. And I thought the two fluorescent fixtures I salvaged added good light to the garage. You have just about the ideal light output.
Oh, and the new garage lights. They are 4ft LED lights that Rural King sells for 25 bucks a pop. I put in 8 of them, about a foot above the rafters. So when I find a home for all the parts stashed in the rafters, the lighting should improve even more.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size

Damn, you make me feel like I've been working in a cave all this time. I bet you don't even have to look for 15 minutes to find that one ******* nut that falls off the core support.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I just wish I could get in my garage. I don't mean get a car in there....I mean me get in there. I have to squeeze in between parts, projects, go karts, dirt bikes and thingys my wife has stuffed in there for "temporary". I literally have parts laying across the rails of two karts and both my benches and drafting table are covered in an array of parts.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I just wish I could get in my garage. I don't mean get a car in there....I mean me get in there. I have to squeeze in between parts, projects, go karts, dirt bikes and thingys my wife has stuffed in there for "temporary". I literally have parts laying across the rails of two karts and both my benches and drafting table are covered in an array of parts.
Sounds like it's time for your own garage!

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What kind of building is that, kinda looks like a basement, but you said rafters so must be something else?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What kind of building is that, kinda looks like a basement, but you said rafters so must be something else?

It's basically an old barn that's in pictures dating back to 1964. I'm guessing it was used as some type of hog barn. A picture in '69 shows it with the big sliding door added into it, suggesting it was being used as a garage then. There's concrete floor for a little over half the length, then it's just a dirt floor that I have covered with plywood.

It's by no means nice, but I can fit 3 cars along with all my parts and junk.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

I ant that garage it has solid floors unlike mine.

windstar fans, they pull enough? The TA fan is bent like every blade, and so I might go electric. I've been looking at cheap stock fans to buy from rockauto but no clue on which might pull enough cfm to cool an olds 403 they say they are a bit hard to keep cool

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They should pull enough air I think. The K5 has windstar fans too and they always did fine when I was still driving it, even in July when in the city.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The vortec style accessory brackets have some clearance issues, mostly the ps/ac bracket.

The upper portion is nowhere near close to clearing the valve cover. I also don't have ac, so I'm just going to cut the entire upper portion of the bracket off. I don't need it there just to hold an ugly ac delete pulley. The bracket has a threaded hole like an idler pulley would go there, sure enough one fits great (mounted in pic).

The lower area hits the early style water pump. A reverse rotation pump probably fits fine, but I have a new vortec pump to use. The bypass hole in the block will need plugged to use that pump, but it should be ok as long as I run a heater without an inline shutoff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus