700r4 Not Shifting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Out of curiosity, could I use the 2wd Transmission and just use the 4x4 rear drive shaft? The 2wd trans came from a longbed and I have a short bed so that drive shaft won't work. Could I use mine with the 2wd trans? And can I basically eliminate the Transfer Case?
Oh and most people do that. I guess it's kinda hard to acknowledge that there could be multiple cities with the same name. lol Dallas-Paulding County??? Whats that?
:bawl:

You would need to take both transmissions apart and swap the shafts to use the 2wd version.

I think he get's that part. His question is, can he just use the 2wd Transmission, eliminate the Transfer case and just run it like a 2wd truck. I'd say the answer is Yes, you can, but be prepared to do something about the location of the crossmember, maybe drill holes in the frame flange. Might even have to use a 2wd crossmember too, and of course you'll need a rear driveshaft modification too. Hopefully a driveshaft from a 2wd truck will be the correct length. Again, distance kills but I have a few driveshafts from 2wd longbed trucks and 2wd crossmembers too. I might be doing this myself soon. I can't seem to find my transfer case and other parts I need to do my C20 to K10/20 conversion project. So to get it off the ground, I might end up just swapping my 454 and Th400 into my K10 truck and run it as a 2wd.

It is true what yev is saying though. You can pull both tranmissions apart and put the output shaft from your current non working transmission in the 2wd transmission case, put it all back together then it'll bolt right in just like a 4x4 trans does. Difference will be, the 2wd won't be a K case transmission, and will not provisions for the heavy aluminum converter cover. You could always drill and tap the bolt holes though. Or just use the thin tin 2wd converter cover or not use a cover at all.

If you're not pulling any drums apart for a complete rebuild, it's alot easier to pull the transmission apart to swap that shaft. I just wish you had a trans guy buddy close to help you and walk you through this fix.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You would need to take both transmissions apart and swap the shafts to use the 2wd version.
So just to be clear- I can't use the 2wd transmission with my 4x4 driveshaft? The output shaft would still have to be changed even if I didn't put the transfer case back in?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Right. The distance to the rear axle will be different than the distance with your current transmission and transfer case. So if you use the 2wd transmisssion as it is, you'd need the proper length driveshaft too.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright well I gots some good news. I've secured the funds to buy a rebuilt transmission. I dropped the transfer case yesterday and dropped the transmission today. 1st time I've ever done anything this intensive to a vehicle so I'm feeling pretty pround. Unfortunately when I set up the transfer case- I thought I had set it level enough to where it wouldn't leak because I didn't drain it. Yeah well that didn't happen. ALL of the fluid leaked out ALL over my garage floor. That was fun cleaning up. Now I got sand in my garage to soak up any left over fluid. But yeah, I'm feeling pretty good. What would y'all say is a good/ decent price for a rebuilt transmission. Nothing to drastic or anything like that. I'm not looking for a racing trans with upgraded planetary gears and whatnot. Just a "stock" trans...???

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 125

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No biggie on the fluid leaking out of the Transfer Case. It probably could use a fluid change anyway. IIRC, it takes Auto Trans fluid too.

Price on a 700r4 is very hard to say since there are so many variables. One the builder and their charges, the biggest variable is what all they upgrade or update in the transmission and depending on how many hard parts are broke inside. The spectrum could be from $800-$1200 for a bench job since you're doing the R&R yourself. Does your price include a new converter with the build or do you need to buy one of those yourself? Is a NEW TV cable included? Not a bad idea since they do tend to stretch after time and the TV cable being set propely is very critical on a 700r4 and if not set right, it'll cook that transmission within a couple hundred miles or a day.

In fact, if this builder is any kind of reputable and offering a warranty, he should be happy as hell if you take it by to him after you get it installed and let him check the TV cable adjustment and installation. That covers his ass too so he don't have a warranty transmission due to a bad TV cable and/or adjustment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm