700r4 Not Shifting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Figured it's time for an update. Got the Valve Body out- defiantly wasn't as hard as I would have expected thankfully. Removed all the valves and took some good break cleaner to them. Cleaned a lot of dark sludge so that good. What sucks is that during the cleaning, my garage got pretty humid and within 20 minutes the Valve Body began to collect surface rust. The stuff that you can easily run off. Freaked me out. Did my best to get all of the rust off and out of the body. Sprayed it down with WD-40 and it looks good now. Replaced all the valves and it turns out that the trans already had a shift kit installed or at least some parts. Defiantly had the sprig for the TV Valve so that wasn't sticking.

Now for the fun part. Took the Seperator Plate off and got all the gaskets off. Cleaned and ready to go. Got all the Check Balls and whatnot. That's good but then I opened the Acumulator and wham! Out comes a broken 1-2 Acumulator Spring. Snapped right in half. Apparently it's pretty common although it took me forever to find some info on it.

So I'm gonna replace it. Probably gonna get a whole new shift kit sense they aren't expensive. Go ahead and do that while the Valve Body is out. Could this have been the source of my lack of shift? I'm pretty sure. Just want your guys opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 148

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any recommendations for a shift kit? Would one of those involve the 1-2 actuator spring?

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Yeah I've looked at TransGo and B and N. The SK. 700 Jr. looks like the best but the site and everywhere I look says that the kit only fits 85' and later models 700r4s. I'm about a year short. Would it still be ok to use? I was gonna call product support tomorrow to ask but I just didn't know. And B and N just doesn't look like an as complete set as the TransGo. Thanks...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah I've looked at TransGo and B and N. The SK. 700 Jr. looks like the best but the site and everywhere I look says that the kit only fits 85' and later models 700r4s. I'm about a year short. Would it still be ok to use? I was gonna call product support tomorrow to ask but I just didn't know. And B and N just doesn't look like an as complete set as the TransGo. Thanks...
Sorry I couldn't tell ya on that, I haven't messed with the early ones not really worth it. Myself I wouldn't mess with B&M, best to talk to Transgo about it they will steer you right.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well figured I'd just let y'all know. Finally after two weeks got the TransGo SK 700 Jr shift kit off EBay. Came with the Acumulator Spring allowing me to replace the broken one. Installed that, was pretty straightforward although with the trans still in it was kinda a pain. Got everything bittoned back up. Got more ATF and replace any lost fluid. Started her up and let it sat for around ten minutes all the while shifting into each gear. Here the time had come. Took her out on 278 and wham. No change. No change what so ever. I lost all hope to be honest. Posted the K10 up on Craigslist and that very same day got someone interested in the truck.

Well the next morning, got a friend who has a 700R4 that's been sitting for about seven years. He said it was shifting when it was pulled although 1st - 2nd was kinda harsh. Said I could go ahead and take it for free. Now I don't know how it's gonna perform after sitting for so long. I've read that the seals within the trans can be dried out and the whole thing just not generally work. I figured I would at least give it a try. So as it sits now, I have the trans line plugged, driveshafts removed and speedo cable off plus the starter out of the way. All I have left is the dipstick tube and then just the bell housing/ crossmember bolts and she's ready to drop. This Georgia Bipolar Weather has been screwing with my schedule. See how it goes from there. Should I drain the transfer case since fluid comes out the tail housing or just leave it as is and pour it out while removing it? Any recommdations while dropping it and what do y'all think of the trans that has been sitting for 7 years?

On a side note- that guy who's interested in the truck offered to take it off my hands. I also found a K5 that looks to be in good shape although I'm still waiting to get more info on that. Just food for thought but I wouldn't mind an 85' K5 Blazer at all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So is this 700r4 your friend have a 4x4 transmission? It'll have the correct output shaft for your Transfer Case? Was it stored inside or outside? If it was stored in the shade, like under a workbench in a garage, it might just be OK.

If you have to sell it, be sure to give the guys here a chance at it too so it can stay at it's internet home.

It doesn't really matter at this point, but I just read a bit more of the previous posts that I obviously didn't read before. You mentioned it CAN'T be a broken sunshell cuz you have a reverse. That's not true. 2nd and 4th are the first to go and you can still have Reverse so long as the ring on the sunshell hasn't broke off completely. Eventually yes, you'll lose reverse too when the sunshell completely breaks. You're normally not very aggresive in Reverse, so long as those splines are hanging by a thread, you might still have Reverse.

I also seen where you mentioned you're only 17 so this is over your head. Don't mind phuck yourself into believing that like so many do. The same can be said for some old dude, Well, I'm 60 so you can't teach an old dog new tricks etc. At 17 your mind should be like a sponge and you'd be more likely to figure it out than someone 2 or 3 times your age. Jus Sayin'.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So is this 700r4 your friend have a 4x4 transmission? It'll have the correct output shaft for your Transfer Case? Was it stored inside or outside? If it was stored in the shade, like under a workbench in a garage, it might just be OK.

If you have to sell it, be sure to give the guys here a chance at it too so it can stay at it's internet home.

It doesn't really matter at this point, but I just read a bit more of the previous posts that I obviously didn't read before. You mentioned it CAN'T be a broken sunshell cuz you have a reverse. That's not true. 2nd and 4th are the first to go and you can still have Reverse so long as the ring on the sunshell hasn't broke off completely. Eventually yes, you'll lose reverse too when the sunshell completely breaks. You're normally not very aggresive in Reverse, so long as those splines are hanging by a thread, you might still have Reverse.

I also seen where you mentioned you're only 17 so this is over your head. Don't mind phuck yourself into believing that like so many do. The same can be said for some old dude, Well, I'm 60 so you can't teach an old dog new tricks etc. At 17 your mind should be like a sponge and you'd be more likely to figure it out than someone 2 or 3 times your age. Jus Sayin'.

Well guess what. Son of a frickin ******!!!!!! Thank you for mentioning the whole 2wd-4x4 difference. His trans came out of an 84' C10 meaning the output shaft length will be different. Mine being a K10 won't work. Yay!!! So I'll be selling it. Already got a local guy interested but I mean I'll post the link to my Craigslist Ad. If anything y'all can just see some more in depth pics of the truck.
And btw, me being 17, I'm quickly becoming pretty knowledgable in regards to these 80's Square Body's and learning more all the time. No body in my family is really big into cars so everything I know has come from y'all, YouTube, and HowStuffWorks.com lol. Started small and worked from there. Well thanks for all the info. Let's see what happens from their.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/6067238429.html

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was afraid of that. It's common that people don't take the output shaft length into consideration so I usually mention it when I hear, my buddies, next door neighor's, ex wife's dad has this transmission that's been sitting out yonder in the pasture of a 2 headed goat farm under a mulberry bush that's been sitting for 10 years....huuuhhhhhh that was working just fine when pulled except it only shifts when you let off the gas and pull your pecker twice with your left hand.

Bummer !!! I was hoping it would work out though. Keep in mind, you get something else or something newer, it's not going to be as simple as this truck. So being 17 and not having deep pockets, remember the most expensive part of maintaining a vehicle is the cost of labor. So if you want to keep something simple that you can work on all while learning the basics, it's sitting in your driveway right now. Do you have any buddies whose dad builds transmissions? Have a local school or college to where if you bought the parts you could help build it and get it done cheap? Have you considered doing a Turbo 350 swap? You'd lose Overdrive, but would have a much more durable transmission once you got the mod kit and Th350's are super cheap to build since you don't have to pay for alot of upgraded parts. Think outside the box a little bit and maybe you can come up with the funds or an alternative plan to keep it instead of throwing the towel to come up with someone elses headache.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Too bad you're so far away or I'd take that 700 off your hands..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Too bad you're so far away or I'd take that 700 off your hands..

Yep, when I seen his CL ad was in Dallas, I was thinking he's not all that far from OKC that maybe he bring it up here for a day and I get it patched up. But, then I see his location is GA and the ad was in Atlanta CL, so I take it that meant he wasn't in Dallas, TX and there is a Dallas in GA.

Prolly just as well though. My tools are buried and it would be like diggin in Tut's Tomb to get to them and no place to spread out to work on anything. Besides, the last time, I tried to do something for someone here on GMSB I ended up hanging them out to dry for at least a couple months before I was able to get their parts shipped.... Ohhhh Hi Art !!! :wave: So I hear you finally have some Jeep Steering Shafts?!?! :shrug:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, when I seen his CL ad was in Dallas, I was thinking he's not all that far from OKC that maybe he bring it up here for a day and I get it patched up. But, then I see his location is GA and the ad was in Atlanta CL, so I take it that meant he wasn't in Dallas, TX and there is a Dallas in GA.

Prolly just as well though. My tools are buried and it would be like diggin in Tut's Tomb to get to them and no place to spread out to work on anything. Besides, the last time, I tried to do something for someone here on GMSB I ended up hanging them out to dry for at least a couple months before I was able to get their parts shipped.... Ohhhh Hi Art !!! :wave: So I hear you finally have some Jeep Steering Shafts?!?! :shrug:
Yeah, and he's a lot closer to you than he is to me, lol..

I can relate to not finding ****, been here 5yrs now and still trying to find stuff,lol.. Yep I got em and they came right on time too, thanks buddy..:D

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Out of curiosity, could I use the 2wd Transmission and just use the 4x4 rear drive shaft? The 2wd trans came from a longbed and I have a short bed so that drive shaft won't work. Could I use mine with the 2wd trans? And can I basically eliminate the Transfer Case?
Oh and most people do that. I guess it's kinda hard to acknowledge that there could be multiple cities with the same name. lol Dallas-Paulding County??? Whats that?
:bawl:

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Out of curiosity, could I use the 2wd Transmission and just use the 4x4 rear drive shaft? The 2wd trans came from a longbed and I have a short bed so that drive shaft won't work. Could I use mine with the 2wd trans? And can I basically eliminate the Transfer Case?
Oh and most people do that. I guess it's kinda hard to acknowledge that there could be multiple cities with the same name. lol Dallas-Paulding County??? Whats that?
:bawl:

You would need to take both transmissions apart and swap the shafts to use the 2wd version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising