700r4 not shifting right - WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmmm. I have never had any issues with synthetic.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
years ago i put some BG trans additive in and it did the same thing, guess the b&m shift kit doesn't like good fluids

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hmmm. I have never had any issues with synthetic.

Me either. We have a 55 gallon drum full of Wolf's Head synthetic ATF at work and we use it because it's correct for just about any vehicle we get in. We use it in high mileage cars and trucks all the time and nobody ever comes back with a failed tranny. We have countless repeat customers too.

I use it in all my old junk too, since it's free.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I run all Amsoil. Installed Full synthetic ATF in my wifes RAV4 at 170,000 and in My Magnum at 60,000
In the Burb since the rebuild.
Signature series in all 3 engines.
Sythetic Diff oil in all
Synthetic grease in the few greasable bearings i have...most are sealed.
no problemos whatsoever...I wonder what the issue is with the stuff you guys were using?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I run all Amsoil. Installed Full synthetic ATF in my wifes RAV4 at 170,000 and in My Magnum at 60,000
In the Burb since the rebuild.
Signature series in all 3 engines.
Sythetic Diff oil in all
Synthetic grease in the few greasable bearings i have...most are sealed.
no problemos whatsoever...I wonder what the issue is with the stuff you guys were using?

Amsoil is better than rest of brands even the mobile. I use the XL 10w30. Getting ready to switch to Amsoil fuel efficient trany fluid in a 4L60E. Might switch my diff to severe gear also later on too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Amso;il is better? And my dick is bigger than yours !!! Point I'm making, sometimes you can read to much advertising Dave. Just cuz Amsoil claims it's better doesn't mean it is. Graned they have good products but ....

Synthetic is all fine but not in an ailing trans. There is also the possibility the changing of fluid, and espeically the synthetic cleaned out some gunk in Retro's 3-4 clutch pack that was actually part of what was keeping the clutch pack in tolerance, or helping take up space for the seals. His problem may have happened anywway with new clean fluid. No telling for sure. I don't use synthetic in my auto transmissions cuz I don't see the need. When you pull a trans apart, how many bushings or thrust washers do you see go bad in a transmission that has 160K miles on it? Not to damn many. If the rear case bushing is chewed up, it was a driveshaft issue that caused it, and even synthetic wouldn't have helped it. In an auto trans, a worn or broken part was due to a chain reaction, and sythetic woudln't have helped. Just saying good old regular trans fluid does a great job as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This makes me terrified to do anything to my trans, even change a filter and add a few quarts.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had a trans guy tell me a while back if you have a high mileage trans, and the fluid looks pretty good, and you change the filter, just use a paint strainer to get any nastiness or debris out of it and re-use it. This was after I changed the filter & fluid in a 4L60E in my S10 Blazer that was slipping a little when cold, then wouldnt do anything. I became gun shy of ****** with autos after that for sure.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Maybe that trans that retro test drove had issues and he didnt drive long enough to warm up enough to notice that it had issues.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Amso;il is better? And my dick is bigger than yours !!! Point I'm making, sometimes you can read to much advertising Dave. Just cuz Amsoil claims it's better doesn't mean it is. Graned they have good products but ....

Synthetic is all fine but not in an ailing trans. There is also the possibility the changing of fluid, and espeically the synthetic cleaned out some gunk in Retro's 3-4 clutch pack that was actually part of what was keeping the clutch pack in tolerance, or helping take up space for the seals. His problem may have happened anywway with new clean fluid. No telling for sure. I don't use synthetic in my auto transmissions cuz I don't see the need. When you pull a trans apart, how many bushings or thrust washers do you see go bad in a transmission that has 160K miles on it? Not to damn many. If the rear case bushing is chewed up, it was a driveshaft issue that caused it, and even synthetic wouldn't have helped it. In an auto trans, a worn or broken part was due to a chain reaction, and sythetic woudln't have helped. Just saying good old regular trans fluid does a great job as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Exaclty,

I had a trans guy tell me a while back if you have a high mileage trans, and the fluid looks pretty good, and you change the filter, just use a paint strainer to get any nastiness or debris out of it and re-use it. This was after I changed the filter & fluid in a 4L60E in my S10 Blazer that was slipping a little when cold, then wouldnt do anything. I became gun shy of ****** with autos after that for sure.

and he is 100% correct, no need to be gun shy about them though, just do some reading and familurize yourself with them before doing anything with them.

Maybe that trans that retro test drove had issues and he didnt drive long enough to warm up enough to notice that it had issues.

yep thats it!!!!!!!!!!!! Retro doesnt know how to testdrive a vehichle :flipthebird:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Gotta be some kinda drama in every frikken thread.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Better than your favorite soap opera, and you don't have to wait til tomorrow or Monday to see the conclusions. :rofl: A little drama doesn't hurt, but yeah, sometimes it gets to much. :patriot:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

no sir there sure doesnt have to be. If you recall we had a WHOLE week drama free.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
please avoid comments of this nature. thanks. let's all get along folks, we're all grown men here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20