700r4 not shifting right - WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
HAHHAHAAAH. :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just relax guys. I've got some enlightening to do. As any Mod or Admin should do, A statment was made in reference to a reported post. Nothing needs to be taken personal.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
please avoid comments of this nature. thanks. let's all get along folks, we're all grown men here.

I guess I dont see whats so wrong with the comment?

Strike one for this place.

Just strike one? I'm on like 5 or 6 by now :shrug:

Hate to guess how many I am working on :roflbow:

Just relax guys. I've got some enlightening to do. As any Mod or Admin should do, A statment was made in reference to a reported post. Nothing needs to be taken personal.

you need to get busy witht eh enlightning :grd:

old blue

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
Expanded Question on 700r4 problem

'87 Suburban, 4wd. I bought this truck as a project, trust me plenty of rust, paint, interior and SES ghost to make a project. When I bought it, the guy told me that when he bought it, he was told the tranny would need rebuild/replace. He never drove it to find out.
Something happened and I had to start driving it to/from work everyday, 5-7 miles a day TOTAL. I quickly found that if I just accelerated 'normal', 2nd gear would slip real bad. Being creative, and not liking 'normal' I just used more throttle for longer and let it shift all up to 3rd from 1st. On the way to work last week, my 33's spun in the rain and something happened. When I left work, it spun FREELY in 2nd, D, and (D). I could get it moving and keep it moving in 1st under throttle. So I brought it home in 1st.
Checked it the next morning and found it about a pint low on fluid, but no more. I added about a pint of Lucas Trans Fix, as I used it before to keep a 4L60E alive for 2 years.
NOW, trying to move in 1st feel like a train trying to 'chug' to a roll. The same whether in 1 or (D). ALSO, no reverse, unless I get it moving downgrade, then it barely moves on reverse.

Total rebuild time???

I'm new to the forum and really liked the input I saw on this post. Thank you for any/all comments.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Old Blue. Sounds to me, the Sun Shell was ailing, and it has now took the major dive. Yes, time for full rebuild. If doing it yourself, let us know. A couple of us here can tell you what you need to upgrade, where to get the parts and at what cost, so you can compare whether you want to tackle it or save it for the pros to do. We don't know your level of auto experience, so don't be offended, if you get talked to as if you're an idiot. Noone is an idiot here.. Well, OK maybe there is, but at any rate, you get my drift. Let us know what help you want.

old blue

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks HRPC. Have a shot at a used (not rebuilt) 700r4 for $350, may pick it up to put in for the time being. My goal is to actually pull the truck off the road so I can do all the work, both custom and resto, that I want to do. But, If worse comes to worse, I want to be able to drive it if I have to.

My experience level is from 25 years ago. Way back when, I did all of my own work, but never had the opportunity to rebuild a tranny. I'm willing to do anything and never refuse advice or loaned knowledge. I have an OLD chilton's manual, but will be shopping for more, especially for the tranny.

The other item that I just thought about while typing about the used trans is that a friend has a 454 that I might be interested in putting in the truck. My suburban is currently stock, with some serious duty suspension, or an old lift, as it currently sits on 33" with only minor front tire rub if I turn and hit a bump at the same time.

Eventual goal is to lift it about 4", switch up to 35", fix all rust and repaint. Swap front bench for buckets, recover back seat, replace carpet and refresh balance of interior. Engine?? Either remove TBI and all electronics from 350, moving to 4bbl carb. OR, move up to the mentioned 454 with minor improvements to build torque. I'll need the final transmission to be able to handle either engine. Haven't really looked at what final gearing I'll need to run, but I know it'll need to be changed.

For the stronger motor should I just plan to convert to a TH350 or TH400? Could a fully rebuilt 700r4 handle a big block with strong, but not extreme, torque. I'll use the truck for cruising, light mudding and off roading. It will not be a daily driver again.

Believe it or not, when I told my wife the trans had gone, she suggested I find something to drive while I do EVERYTHING I want to do, then put it back on the road, and has now suggested at least three times that I just build a BIG mud truck that'll carry the family through the mud.

Again, thank you for any and all suggestions on parts, processes or for the truck in general. Over the next few weeks I'll be reading all the posts throughout the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL