5.9l Cummins swap into a lucky Square Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
After a request by Hotrod to start up a thread on this swap in this section, I listened to him haha.

Basically I want this thread to show how much work it can be to swap a 6bt into a squarebody frame. Also all the wiring and other misc modifications that go along with it. Any questions I have or members have can be answered here also. I just got started on this so it will be moving slow depending on $$$.

First of all you gotta get yourself a squarebody of your choice, rip out the motor and entire driveline. Then find yourself a cummins. You will probably be better off if you find an entire running truck because you have the entire driveline with that. But I didnt take that route, I was able to find just a motor for cheap from a friend.

This is what I started out with: '95 12 valve
You must be registered for see images attach

[/QUOTE]

First thing I did was take off the front half of the motor to check and see if I had to tab down the killer dowel pin or not. Always check that when you buy a 6bt you dont want that falling out

Pulleys and such removed.

Took off the 400 bolts that hold on the timing cover

And theres the pin, I obviously have to tab it down

I am planning on test running the engine first before I do to much to it, but I need a set of gaskets to come in the mail first (oil pan, timing cover, front and rear seals) While I wait in the mean time I just started cleaning up the motor. Didnt think there was paint under there! lol

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
You have a long road ahead of you brother hit my up if you have any questions

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:grd:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Were gonna hold you to it here TXOUTLAW. Be sure to hang out and check in frequnelty and offer up any help he might need. Of all the members on GMSB, you and Wildcatjason are probably the most knowledgeable on the Cummins swaps. So until we get one done live and a write up which 1973 hopes to do as he goes.... It'll certainly be benefit here. I know there are many members interested in such a swap. :waytogo:

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I used TNdiesel power mounts an cross memeber . Worked really well for my swap. Scott is a awesome guy and very knowledgable about this . He's been doing this swap for decades ! There are a few things that will be difficult like your intercooler and mounts but if you get that done the rest in fairly simple . Do you know what kinda tranny your using ? On my forum ill post pics of my tranny mount I built for my getrag. If you want one let me know . The wiring is pretty self explanatory . Your coil hot goes to the injection pump 12v source . Then you can adapte the water and oil Eaither in the front by the water neck or the back . An the oil can go where the oil outlet where you feed your turbo there's a second plug off . Now your Eaither going to have to notch your frame so that the ac compressor for the dodge can fit or ! Go back to tn diesel and get the kit where it uses a 160 amp chevy alt and moves the ac compressor up ! Ill post a pic for you so you can see what I mean it's a good looking kit . I got mine running and the inter cooler in and on now I'm lifting and working on the other few electrical gremlins I got . An more heads are better that one ! Ill be here to help all the way like people were here for me !! Thanks alot !! Wildcat and hotrod helped me and I'm a fairly new member here ! So that means alot ! So I'm here for ya brother if ya need it . If you need my number just message me cuz it's hard to explain in writing some times haha

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Took me about 3 months and counting ... But it's consumed my week ends and just about any time I got off from work ... Lol can't wait till Im compleatly done

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I used TNdiesel power mounts an cross memeber . Worked really well for my swap. Scott is a awesome guy and very knowledgable about this . He's been doing this swap for decades ! There are a few things that will be difficult like your intercooler and mounts but if you get that done the rest in fairly simple . Do you know what kinda tranny your using ? On my forum ill post pics of my tranny mount I built for my getrag. If you want one let me know . The wiring is pretty self explanatory . Your coil hot goes to the injection pump 12v source . Then you can adapte the water and oil Eaither in the front by the water neck or the back . An the oil can go where the oil outlet where you feed your turbo there's a second plug off . Now your Eaither going to have to notch your frame so that the ac compressor for the dodge can fit or ! Go back to tn diesel and get the kit where it uses a 160 amp chevy alt and moves the ac compressor up ! Ill post a pic for you so you can see what I mean it's a good looking kit . I got mine running and the inter cooler in and on now I'm lifting and working on the other few electrical gremlins I got . An more heads are better that one ! Ill be here to help all the way like people were here for me !! Thanks alot !! Wildcat and hotrod helped me and I'm a fairly new member here ! So that means alot ! So I'm here for ya brother if ya need it . If you need my number just message me cuz it's hard to explain in writing some times haha
Thanks dude, I was just actually looking at tn diesels last night. Also I plan on running a dodge NV4500. I will certainly check out your forum and let you know if I need your number or not!

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Just an FYI. You can run an air to water intercooler if you wanna conserve space. People run air to air left and right. I prefer the look. Just another option. The 4bt uses a water to air and you can get universal ones from www.frozenboost.com. www.autoworldmt.com is another source for cummins swaps and AC/alternator mounts. I wouldn't doubt if that is where Scott gets his. Don't forget the rear main while it's out. Cheap insurance.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Autoworldmt uses the stock AC compressor.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool Video !!! Now we need some incab going for a drive !!! :waytogo:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Which oil sender are you using? The one that came with the cummins or the one for the Chevy truck?

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Chevy it's a one wire hook up . Put it next to the turbo oil line .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad