4L80-E Conversion Into a SB w/ SFI Vortec 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
if tis still there I might be making a trip to Moberly

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pts/2263821765.html

Well I am not buying the 4L80E that comes with the Transfercase cause i cant find any positive info that says it will work with the 96 harness and VCM. But iam getting the Transfercase and the adapter Friday afternoon for 150. Not as cheap as I would have liked to of gotten it but still better then the junk yards price of 450.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
That is a good price.

Being a 1991, it will work with the VSS as well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
if tis still there I might be making a trip to Moberly

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pts/2263821765.html

IF that is the one you thnk is a 4L80-E, nope. That's a TH400 and NP241C and should have the Electronic speedo sending unit in the Tcase though, so that is the Tcase you need. I'd say for Th400, you need to get her down to $175-$200 and also since no TORK converter aka Torque Converter.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
IF that is the one you thnk is a 4L80-E, nope. That's a TH400 and NP241C and should have the Electronic speedo sending unit in the Tcase though, so that is the Tcase you need. I'd say for Th400, you need to get her down to $175-$200 and also since no TORK converter aka Torque Converter.

Nope it is defintly a 4L80E heres another picture from the otherside.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope it is defintly a 4L80E heres another picture from the otherside.

You must be registered for see images

I'd like to see it but your pic addy is junk. Something to do with google and a secure socket layer (SSL) the addy starts outs https. I changed it and didn't help, went to the link manually and it wants me to sign into google mail. Fix it. I wanna see it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So, if this 91 Burb has a 4L80-E, what does he have to do for the gear selector indicator Retro??? You know in the E transmissions, that is an important part of the transmissions operation. That dumb little light on the PRND321 BS, serves a purpose in those transmissions. The 91 didn't have a lit shift indicator did it? Although it doesn't, it can act as sorta like a Check Engine light for the transmission at times, as if the light is doing certain things, it can help you diagnose transmission failures??? How about skysurfer?? Isn't his a 91? Oh wait, his is K10 or is it K20? I think he has Turbo400 in his. don't remember now. :shrug: I was not even aware the 91 Burb had a 4L80-E. And that pic looked to be a 400 to me. Maybe cuz it was married to the NP241C, but the pan edge looked to be 400 to me. I want to see this other pic he has. Very Curious now.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yep, you could get a 4L80E in 1991.

I wasn't sure what to think about the range selector...That wouldn't set an SES code if it weren't there that I know of...But I am probably wrong.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Ok Hotrod heres the Pictures. As far as the Range selector switch actually setting a code i dont think it will set a code BUT I am still tracing wires on my schematics to know for sure.
A litle info for you and anyone else intrested. The Range selector switch acually has 2 jobs. It tells you what gear you are in via the intrument panel, and it also serves as the neutral safety switch. I am still not sure if any thing is connected directly to the computer from the switch yet though. My schematics are fighting me GRR and you know I like wiring so there ****** up.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Can you send me the schematics?

I should have picked up the fullsize van service manual at half price books...i may still.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
do you one better I sent you a PM

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Ok here is where I am at so far. The TR switch has 2 connectors C1 and C2.

C1
Terminal A Yellow wire goes to C100 Which Ithink splices and goes to the instrument panel for for Neutral indication aswell as to the computer for park/neutral signal?????Still not sure on that
Terminal B LT GRN wire goes to C200 which goes to the instrument panel to indicate PARK
Terminal C PNK wire comes from the Trans fuse #20 which powers the TR switch
Terminal D BLK wire of course is the Switch Ground
Terminal E Yellow Wire comes from the Ignition switch for the crank signal wire
Terminal F LT GRN wire goes to a splice pack which goes to the instrument panel for REVERSE indication and also to the back up lamps
Terminal G PPL wire goes to the Starter Relay as the trigger wire
C2
Terminal A BLK/WHT goes to C200 then to the Instrument panel for either D,3,2,1 indicater light
Terminal B GRY wire goes to C200 then to the instrument panel for eitherD,3,2,1 indicator light
Terminal C WHT wire goes to C200 then to the instrument panel for either D,3,2,1 indicator light
Terminal D Yellow wire goes to C200 then to the instrument panel for either D,3,2,1 indicator light

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
None of which go to the PCM.

There would likely be a "PRNDL switch failure" code which basically does nothing. Doesn't set off the light and doesn't affect emissions testing if that mattered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky