4 new starters and still wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would certainly try a new battery also. Just swap one from another vehicle real quick. Keep us posted I would like to know the fix.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
we used to just put the starters on the bench and test them.put 12 volts. to it if it runs strong.the starter is good.i had motors in the old days.you had to use lots of shims.4 5 6 i cant remember how many.but there are different fly wheels/flex plates.some more teeth then others.start gear has to match up.if i am remembering right.pontiac and olds motors are different..in some ways.one thing for sure.you got to know that flywheel/flex plate.some rebuilt starters..could of been tagged wrong..buy new..

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i just read some stuff.one guy ended up using 4 shims to get his to work..one guy got three starters..from local auto parts.like auto zone.all locked on the fly wheel..he finally went to NAPA and got a starter and it worked right with no shims..i know.truck starters.i have had.were cone starters.

there are a lot of different starters out there.those shims come in different thicknesses too..some were.just shiming one side and not both sides..

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
I'm thinking bad battery. Could have just 1 dead cell in it, so its weak, and just weak enough to cause your problems. AutoZone, O'reilly's, and Advance Auto, will all test your battery at no charge. For a good test, they will want to keep it for a few hours to put a good charge on it, then at the end of the charge they will test it. I'd probably go ahead and let them do it if I were you without alot of experience, instead of just guessing and throwing money at parts till you finally get it right.

man i worked at one of those stores you just mentioned, and you would not believe how many times, instead of just having the vehicle checked to see what it needs, people just throw money at it. One guy spent almost 600 dollars in there one day trying to fix his car and it turned out it was a plug wire.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
man i worked at one of those stores you just mentioned, and you would not believe how many times, instead of just having the vehicle checked to see what it needs, people just throw money at it. One guy spent almost 600 dollars in there one day trying to fix his car and it turned out it was a plug wire.

Its a fact, and my bro is one of those type. Case and Point, 2001 Mustang GT. He rebuilt the motor. It fired and ran for 5 minutes to never start again. He replaced MAF sensor, he replaced fuel pump, and its now getting expensive, so I told him, hey get on a Mustang Forum and explain your situation and someone WILL KNOW what is wrong. He didn't. Then replaced Crank sensor to no avail, I called him a ******* and I GOT ON THE FORUM for him. Called him next morning, and told him, disconnect your serpentine belt and if it starts, you have a bad alternator. He says, that's stupid and I agreed, but if its that model of vehicles quirk, then you do it, and only a Ford lover would know this. He then replaces the cam sensor, no workie. He then takes out all his injectors, takes them down a place that rebuilds injectors, they give before and after results. Has new caps and orings in the injetors now, but only a slight flow improvement in 2 injectors, infact they were still on tolerance, so it made no difference in how the car would run, he's now spend a forturne chasing parts. And he gives up. A MONTH LATER after spending all this fuggin money, he calls me all excited one night, and says listen over the phone. I hear the car revving the motor in the garage. I ask what it is, It must be the alternator, I took the belt off and it starts, isn't that stupid???? I said NO, what's stupid is you didn't listen 6 weeks ago, and now have spent and wasted over $500 in parts and labor and time when I told you to get on the Mustang Forum and ask the gurus and not only did you not listen to that, you didn't listen to me when I did it for your *******. You got what you deserved idiot !!!

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Its a fact, and my bro is one of those type. Case and Point, 2001 Mustang GT. He rebuilt the motor. It fired and ran for 5 minutes to never start again. He replaced MAF sensor, he replaced fuel pump, and its now getting expensive, so I told him, hey get on a Mustang Forum and explain your situation and someone WILL KNOW what is wrong. He didn't. Then replaced Crank sensor to no avail, I called him a ******* and I GOT ON THE FORUM for him. Called him next morning, and told him, disconnect your serpentine belt and if it starts, you have a bad alternator. He says, that's stupid and I agreed, but if its that model of vehicles quirk, then you do it, and only a Ford lover would know this. He then replaces the cam sensor, no workie. He then takes out all his injectors, takes them down a place that rebuilds injectors, they give before and after results. Has new caps and orings in the injetors now, but only a slight flow improvement in 2 injectors, infact they were still on tolerance, so it made no difference in how the car would run, he's now spend a forturne chasing parts. And he gives up. A MONTH LATER after spending all this fuggin money, he calls me all excited one night, and says listen over the phone. I hear the car revving the motor in the garage. I ask what it is, It must be the alternator, I took the belt off and it starts, isn't that stupid???? I said NO, what's stupid is you didn't listen 6 weeks ago, and now have spent and wasted over $500 in parts and labor and time when I told you to get on the Mustang Forum and ask the gurus and not only did you not listen to that, you didn't listen to me when I did it for your *******. You got what you deserved idiot !!!

yea man i don't understand people sometimes. I wish i had the money these people waste doing that ****. lol

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i forgot i made this post and yes i fixed it and i had a stupid moment. it was the battery, i dont know y but i just went to the possible bigger cause then checking little **** first.

haha

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
i forgot i made this post and yes i fixed it and i had a stupid moment. it was the battery, i dont know y but i just went to the possible bigger cause then checking little **** first.

haha

We all do it, its half the fun of owning one of these trucks.

Dont feel bad, I have spent multiple hours and many hundreds of dollars trying to fix an engine performance problem and the entire time all I needed was a 5 dollar item.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We all do it, its half the fun of owning one of these trucks.

Dont feel bad, I have spent multiple hours and many hundreds of dollars trying to fix an engine performance problem and the entire time all I needed was a 5 dollar item.

Yep, and this in a period for over a year Imann spent all this money. Granted once he found the problem, now everything else on the truck is new, like Carb rebuild, distributor, and others.

builtnotbought

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
i just bought an 96 k2500 with a 6.2 diesel and i was wondering if there was a bracket to hold the starter in place and also i have put in a brand new starter and it still turns over slowly ive put brand new batteries in and even put another battery in (thats 3 batteries in tottal) and it still turns over slowy and suggestions????
thanks, mike

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
i just bought an 96 k2500 with a 6.2 diesel and i was wondering if there was a bracket to hold the starter in place and also i have put in a brand new starter and it still turns over slowly ive put brand new batteries in and even put another battery in (thats 3 batteries in tottal) and it still turns over slowy and suggestions????
thanks, mike

check your grounds real close

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You sure that's a 6.2? In 96, it should be the Detroit 6.5 Turbo Diesel. I'm thinking if its really a 6.2, its not the OEM motor. :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm