4" hangers and shackles... leafs touch bed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
You can see that the top leaf spring touches the bottom of the bed just barely. I did 4" hangers and shackles from Western Chassis, removed 4 leafs, which got me about 6" in the rear, replaced the shock with the WC drop shock. I expected the rear end to be a lot softer than when it was stock as i have a lot less springs, but I think the WC drop shocks are super stiff. Otherwise it has to be how the leaf spring is resting on the bed, not allowing much movement....

what do you guys think?

this is the drivers side, rear shackle. I think i read guys were cutting/notching this bed rail to get the clearance, not sure if it will make any difference in the ride quality or the stance.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 469

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Notch the bed rails underneath for clearance. ..I had the same issue. The ride will improve dramtically when the rear leaf packs can flex without interference with the underside of the bed.

Last edited:

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
Notch the bed rails underneath for clearance. ..I had the same issue. The ride will improve dramtically when the rear leaf packs can flex without interference with the underside of the bed.

thanks for the picture. that is exactly what I was thinking I need to do. One question, did your truck drop any lower after you notched it? As you can see in the picture I am about level, I love exactly how it sits right now. thanks again for your reply

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
My truck did not drop when the notch was cut. Your suspension will cycle completely once the bed rail has been notched.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Its a pita to notch it, unless you have a plasma cutter. I used a cutoff wheel on my air grider. To make it easier, disconnect the bed hardware and raise it slightly.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
thank you

I was thinking of removing the rear leaf from the shackles on both sides, then I can drop it about 4"s or so, would that give me enough room with an angle grinder and a saws all? Im at work for a couple days without the truck so I can't even preplan right now until I get home to take a closer look.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Dropping the rear hangers works great too. Obviously you will want to mark the underside of the bedrails for cutting. A sawzall will work too.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
Dropping the rear hangers works great too. Obviously you will want to mark the underside of the bedrails for cutting. A sawzall will work too.

done and done. I removed the rear shackles off the hangers and leaf spring pack, then lowered the axle as far as my exhaust would let me. It was just enough space to let me get in there with my 4" angle grinder and cut off blade to get the job done. It isn't pretty but it worked great. I did not sit any lower in the rear after the cut, but I did sit about 1/2" lower once I hooked my boat trailer up to it. Turned out great, seems to handle better too, not so stiff.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sweet. Now the springs can cycle as they should without the bed rail "bumpstop" lol. Glad to hear it wasn't too difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507