383 Vortec/TBI Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Finally getting going on installing the 383! Spent a good chunk of last weekend readying the stocker for removal and then last Wed the buyer came and helped me get it out the rest of the way. Sold for $500, pretty pleased. Will help defer cost of some new bolt-ons and TBI chip burning/tuning.

You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Have you tried using a load leveler? Being able to tilt the engine on removal and install really helps. I have the OTC 4305, it's well built and rated for 1500 lbs. Another thing I like is the Harbor Freight 8 ton air/hydraulic ram (item 94562) for my hoist. I put an 8' air hose on the trigger so I can lift the engine and move around the engine bay looking for snags at the same time. Looks like you already have a HF ram but can't see if it's the pneumatic one.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I used one of those levelers when I installed the engine in my Vette - very nice, made it much easier. It was one that bolted to the intake manifold. But alas, haven't had much contact with the guy that let me borrow it years ago... And, no, my ram is not pneumatic, just good old jacking. But the guy who was buying the motor was there guiding it and it went OK. When I put the new motor in I'll probably have a couple of guys helping me.

BTW, the cherry picker is not HF, but very similar. I think the guy I bought it from got it from Shucks (O'Reilleys) originally.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Damn, there are a lot of challenges with a vortec head TBI motor. All the stuff that bolted to the intake manifold needs to find a new home since bolt holes in q-jet/vortec manifold are missing or in a different place. Not so bad with coil and map sensor (shown) since position is not as important, but the bracket (not shown) that serves as throttle cable back stop/throttle return attachment point/cruise control diaphragm is going to be a challenge. Some engineering required..... Any suggestions feel free to throw them at me!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
bend the brackets for the throttle cable to use the intake bolts thinking about bending mine to move the bracket in to line up with the TBI, I used threaded rod to create studs. Made the hole deeper for the coil to mount to the intake. Pressed for time I just used the stock bracket for the map and use a valve cover bolt.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have vortec heads, but used aftermarket TBI. I bought probably 6 different throttle brackets, tried them, modified them, determined they were junk and threw them out until I came across something like these:

These brackets are FAST and Edelbrock versions:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fst-304147/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-8041/overview/

They worked great for my application... but I don't have the coil mounted there. (I'm just using the old regular HEI distributor). I don't know if it would interfere or not.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
bend the brackets for the throttle cable to use the intake bolts thinking about bending mine to move the bracket in to line up with the TBI, I used threaded rod to create studs. Made the hole deeper for the coil to mount to the intake. Pressed for time I just used the stock bracket for the map and use a valve cover bolt.

Yeah I’m going to be doing some bending for sure, thanks. I think I’ll be able to make it work for throttle cable at least. Cruise diaphragm will be biggest challenge - if it’s too much of a hassle I’ll just forego CC, doesn’t work now anyway (I think diaphragm is bad). I’m going to use some flat bar to build bridges across bolt holes so I can get at least two bolts in everything. Map is one-bolted to egr block off plate now, should be able to get it to use two.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
I have vortec heads, but used aftermarket TBI. I bought probably 6 different throttle brackets, tried them, modified them, determined they were junk and threw them out until I came across something like these:

These brackets are FAST and Edelbrock versions:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fst-304147/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-8041/overview/

They worked great for my application... but I don't have the coil mounted there. (I'm just using the old regular HEI distributor). I don't know if it would interfere or not.

That’s great to know that’s available. I’m first going to try using what I have but this might be an option if it doesn’t work out. Thanks

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Just about ready to drop it in. Lots of fun with brackets and supports these days. Biggest challenge was the throttle cable stop/cruise control bracket. Had to do some minor fabrication with aluminum. Another challenge was MAP sensor mounting. I ended up attaching it to the bracket over the valve cover that holds the EGR solenoid. I am ditching EGR, but I decided to keep the solenoid there just in case. It's been eliminated on the chip, but I'm unsure if the computer is going to want to see the solenoid hooked up. The vacuum port on the TB will be plugged however.

I went to Pick-n-pull the other day and found several TBI trucks that had some of the brackets and spark plug wire looms I needed. I also found a TBI van that had the support rod I needed between the serpentine belt tensioner and the intake manifold. (That setup was slightly different between vans and trucks apparently) The other advantage with the van was I could see the back of the cylinder heads easily and I got some picks that showed me how all that **** is bolted on.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

isnt you water outlet on backwards?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Got my plug wire routing figured out tonight. More or less factory routing, near as I can tell. For some reason #2 wire isn’t quite long enough to go thru all the looms but close enough. All the other wires fit perfect. I’m reusing these from the previous engine but they’re MSD 8.5 mm and in great shape.

Got my water neck turned around so it’s pointing right direction but still not sealed to intake - won’t do that till it’s in the truck

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Does anybody know the story with the electronic spark control (ESC) module on the TBI trucks? Discovered last night that my ‘90 parts rig had that module on the bracket that hangs over the PS valve cover that also has the EGR solenoid. My ‘91 did not have that module there and I don’t think it has it at all. Did they change the ECM between ‘90 and ‘91 to take over those duties of the ESC?

ESC from the ‘90:

Engine bay from ‘91 before I took anything apart, running condition:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224