2wd to 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm sure this has been asked 10,000 times so please forgive me, but how difficult would it be to convert a 2wd to a 4wd? Obviously you'd need a front axle, transfer case and all that but is it even possible, meaning are the frames different etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'm pretty sure the frames aren't different other than maybe the front crossmember under the engine? That's a simple fix though just shear off the rivets and install a 4x4 crossmember I would just go aftermarket myself.

The biggest task of course is mounting the leaf springs and hangers to the frame, im not sure if the 2wd frame will have the mounting locations (like bolt holes, ect) if not you have a lot of drilling to do lol. You have to make sure you get them mounted square and both springs are mounted evenly with each other so you don't have a steering/tire wear issue, if you want to call it dog tracking (what its called with rear axles).

You'll need a crossmember for the transfer case, and you'll have to cut a whole in the floor for the 4wd shift lever, driveshafts, and you HAVE to have the same gear ratios in both axles. You may have a little headache with the yoke's on the driveshafts and axles being different also.

Its been done many many times and ive considered it myself, I want a crew cab 4x4 but all I can ever find are 2wd and the 4wd's are wayyy overpriced when I actually find one. It can be done there's just a good bit of work that goes into it and the little things you have to do add up

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Sorry but it's quite a bit more work than this.
You can't do it unless you move up to longer front springs. Where the frame sweeps upwards for suspension clearance it is different from 2x to 4x.
As far as the cab you will not be just cutting a hole in the floor but actually either making a transmission/tc bulge or nabbing one off 4X cab. Please don't think of a body lift for this clearance, that's not the best way.

In North Dakota they use salt on the roads no? If so then there are rusted out 4x4s sitting in fields. See if you can find one cheap and drop your 2x cab on it. You will still need to address the floor riser/shifter holes, but that's nothing compared to trying to get 4x4 front suspension on a 2x frame.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I didn't mention every single task that has to be done, just a general list ha, that being said I believe he is in Arkansas. Im in ND lol

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am in Arkansas. I guess it's a fleeting wish. I will just stick to my plans and keep it 2wd. Maybe someday I'll happen across a 4wd I can nab for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising