2wd conversion to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vortec997

Reaction score
First Name
charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If i buy a square body crew cab such as a dually is the frame the same as a 4wd. I have found it very difficult to find a square body crew cab unless its a 2wd dually any info would be appreciated.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unfortunately no. The front suspension components would need to be removed and some cross-members need to change among other things. It is much easier to do a frame swap. There is a guy on here currently in the process of converting a 2wd to a 4x4 by modifying the original frame. It's really in depth and well documented. Build thread of that can be found here.

Welcome to the site as well!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I have the same issue, or just really clean 1 tons are always 2wd. Ive looked at DIY4X's I think they call it the A-bomb im not sure. But its the easiest way in my opinion to do the swap, I believe it serves as a winch mount and you can build a custom bumper off of it, as well as it strengthens the front of the frame. It takes the place of the factory core support body mounts, and it has multiple mounting points for the front spring hanger. Its pretty slick

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Somewhat of a sideways solution, but you perhaps could graft the front of a 4wd k10/k20 frame somewhere along where the front part of the crew cab frame meets up under the cab section. For the most part everything on the front part of a one ton 4wd frame is going to be the same as a 1/2 and 3/4 ton frame, the only thing that changes are the front axle's. You could just cut and chop the frame rails, then plate and box them for strength. Essentially the same process as what they do for converting from long bed to short bed, you just have to find the common spot to cut and weld. I figure it would be easier than trying to adapt all the 4wd hangers and parts to a 2wd frame.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Maybe by DIY has a B52 kit for 2x2s... so you don;t have to mod the 4x4 bracket. More guys hanging B52s on 2x trucks these days.
I might go this route myself, running out of 4x frames around here. So much rust.
I would spring for ORD's springs. They have multi thin leaf packs for 52" conversions. They have the correct spring rates... better than a used rear 52".

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
In addition to all the modification you do on the front section of the frame, the rear spring hangers on K series truck are about 2" longer. So those will need to be changed too.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i’m in the process of doing the swap. my build thread is linked already in one of the first posts. if you have any questions feel free to send me a message. one thing to watch out for is that the 3/4 crew cabs wer on a 1 ton frame so make sure you order 1 ton parts ( not sure if this is all year but at least the early ones are that way)

also the are floors are different between the 4wd and 2wd. i’m running the 2wd cab but i dropped the motor/trans down instead of adding a body lift

NastyBuzzard

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350TBI
We actually sell a true conversion kit for 1 tons or crew cabs. We have install videos on youtube and have a few options for kits. Our front setup actually puts the leaf springs parallel to the ground so pinion angle stays correct. Our rear hangers lift the rear to match the factory k30 height. We also use as many original bolt holes as possible so you wont have to butcher the frame.

LHredneck

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m doing a 2wd to 4wd swap right now except a k20 to a short bed c10
Everything from the back of the gas tanks is the same if the rear springs are the same length
I just went slow and took lots of measurements and double checked the measurements
Hardest thing is getting factory rivets out

You must be registered for see images attach

NastyBuzzard

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350TBI
Yeah those rivets are pretty time consuming unless you have a real good air hammer along with a nice air compressor. Ive removed so many with a cut off wheel, drill and a punch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner