208 the same as 203 or 205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:(:(:(

Guess i'll keep shoppin.
Theres a 4x4 store or two around, think i'll go check in with those guys see if they know a good deal.
I am already out of time.

Maybe cheaper to go back to a 700? i'm starting to wonder..
:nutkick:

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think I got the gist of what you are doing here. 700r4 with 208 broke and your going back in with a th350 and 208. Is the r4 and 350 the same length? If it is, disregard...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bought it unknowingly with a working 2wd th350 conversion.
It broke.
Had the existing 2wd conversion rebuilt trying to save a buck.

Spent $1000 to have a FOREVER build and and IT BROKE too.

Fast.

Refuse to make the 3rd mistake twice.

Zero desire for an OD trans. None want. My primary interest has always been longevity.

Sooo, since im "weird" that I only want to make it like factory, with a proper 4x4 trans , it is trying to cost more than the $1750 i gave for the whole damned truck.

Ive been borrowing someone else's car SINCE DECEMBER and now he wants it back.

Go figure.

:**** Eater:

Lookit this $1500 2.8L Blazer I found for sale.

Damn, that's cool.
I got BAD ASS wheels and tires to put on it too. So recently washed it's dripping water lol.
Wonder how low they'd go?
Been for sale a minute!
:pedobear:

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
:(:(:(

Maybe cheaper to go back to a 700? i'm starting to wonder..
:nutkick:

If this is feasible for you, I endorse that idea. They’re good, reliable transmissions, and I don’t think I could do more than short jaunts with that three speed. The Jimmy’s got a 700 w/ 3.42 gears, and it’s a babe on the interstate. Unless you already had it to work with like in your case, there’s no benefit to having the TH350 behind a near stock engine configuration doing 2.5 tons of towing or less. If you can find a later model, local core to have built properly for you, I think you’d be on the right track.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I know 3.42 not ideal for 31s, I HAVE shopped axles since I got this truck because I want 31s. I bought them on purpose lol.
There is a guy on CL that only sells 3.73/4.10s/4.56 i think. He pops up once in a while out near Broken Bow and scraps old cucvs.
So there ya go.

Doesnt sound like what i want is cheap as is like but who wants something they dont want? No reason to settle.
Not my style.
I have also considered the fact that I love being in the truck and it IS freaking fantastic. So it's a keeper? Oh yeah.
That WAS the intention and maybe ive lost sight of that. Bite the effing bullet Rusty, stfu, and buy the damned $2,000 overkill transmission so we can move on to the $800 AC repair hiding in the wings.
Lmao.
Fml.
Well Russ, do you want a focking K5 or what , *****? :mad:
A black on gray one even, so im trippin?. Right?
Bein cheap aint cool...
K5 Blazers are definately cool though... :cool:
Maybe im making it hard for myself being cheap? Thats not like me at all! I aint tight.

:mad:

There's just got to be a better way!?

Your opinion carries weight 87, thank you.
I got that idea lookin for Jimmy parts.

There is a th400 in the garage too...i see those..

I started sending THIS message to some transmission sources like Detroit Axle even.
"
HI!
I need a new transmission but dont need a $2000 part built for 500 horse. I need a slow speed putter to take a bolt on 350sbc, forever.

I bought a 1988 K5 Blazer (TBI) unknowingly with a 2wd th350 conversion mated to the NP208 transfer case.

Factory it had a 700r4 but I don't want OverDrive. Simpler lasts longer , I want a proper 4X4 cased th350 , and my primary interest is longevity for a 250 horse 350SBC in a 4x4 on 31" tires and 3.42 ten bolt differentials.

Do you build such a beast?
How much does it cost to get one to 73127 in OKC?
I can only offer a 2wd convert for trade.

Thanks for your time,
Rusty
"
Maybe something cool will turn up.
:shrug:
"We'll all find out together.

I'm thinkin about it 87dude but I REALLY hate that idea on the inside even. It would have to be considerably cheaper. I always thought 700s r junk and there is one in my Camaro..lol it's junk and I hate being scared of it.. I'd like to put a th350 in it one day ! haha sad face :( it would help keep me from driving it too fast.

Boy this sure is a weird thread but I think it's fun and WE ARE learning stuff. I think.

Needs a tune. Brb.
Ima pick somethin great!

Damn. Fits this thread like a glove . Transmission shopping music.

:eek:that shirt though
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I was at the TCI website and realized they ALSO SELL an RV/towing trans rated to 250 horse or 350 hp...?

Omg!
:shock:
:lightbulb:
:idea:
:genius:

Grr

Of course!
The cheaper stuff is harder to find!
They try not to sell/advertise it.
It's WAY cheaper!
:duh:
:dumb:
:stupid:
Grr!

I just gotta dig deeper!

Somebody ELSE will be able to take something from all this incessant rambling, watch. We'll :grd:.

So what I had to cry about it for two days to figure it out?
:bawl:
Quack quack!
Relax hun.
IT'S ENTERTAINMENT.
right?
:shy:
:bashful:
:mad:
I've been looking for the wrong thing!
Reckon that's why I can't find what I want?
$2000 for a three speed transmission in a 30 year old truck? Suck my

Not Street/strip.
Need RV/ towing!
"Heavy Duty"

Shuuuurrrrre ....you hate to admit it but that's a damn fine point.

:pedobear:

*almost solved! - Stay tuned folks!

Last edited:

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
That was a waste of time reading that whole thread. I'm not even sure of what the question was. Good luck in your pursuit.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Detroit Axle called back and said they would build it for around $1200 BUT they dont have an available case and to buy a new one to use would add $800 to the price.
He suggested calling back after wuhan..nice guy.

Lou @ "Maddog Transmissions" ARGUED with me that he's "been doing this for thirty years" and there isnt any difference between the cases. But if thats what I say, it's okay with him :33: because he has a good one right here on the shelf so it's not a problem.

Lou, thirty years? He just needed the "special output shaft" from my trans to build the new one. He said the word "spacer" , I told him we are done talking and hung up.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I did in fact , send him the above message. Thank you Sir.
:cheers:

We spoke in the phone
Mike in Dallas says IF he can find a $300 case, he'd build it for $400.

$700<$1500<$2,000

Pretty lame this thead devolves into a transmission build.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Mostly what NOT to do.

Be very careful choosing sources of information for forty year old trucks.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I laughed all over again...it says "three weeks later"
Dood was srsly wound up!
Lmmfao I wonder how much SANKA he had to drink in three weeks before he got calmed down? :rolleyes:

I may have actually found one in Texas, waiting on the pix. Near $500.
Speaking of, just got off the phone with Mike in DALLAS . Cool effing dude, BTW.

He's found a 4x4 th350-C case to build.
Shipped to me fresh built for my truck with a warranty bout $1000. Includes 350C specific convertor... :(

Commissioning him actually seems like a viable option..im tellin ya, what I want isnt found on a shelf and i'd rather source a different case, there is one for sale on eBay -$225.

I maybe found a different trans from a 1981 k10 they say. I spoke to this guy on the phone 3 times. Coy is his name. Long output shaft, 27 splines, bolted to np208.He called his distributor to verify.
It's there.
Fresh rebuilt,with convertor,free delivery, THREE YEAR warranty $1625 +3-400$ install . 2k is the number to beat but the goal is the 1750 i give for the truck lol sadface :(
This is the second option at $2,000 i found MONDAY.

Still a couple of lines out though..
One from a 1980 6cyl K10 .. an 81 305 powered k10..went from lookin for blazer parts to jimmy to pickups through 86.
STILL hard AF! BUT ! Many more results looking for a TRUCK trans , 79-86 is the range I search.

Unicorn transmissions are hard to find but NOW there is NO WAY IN HELL :mad: that i wont own at least one haha.

I know its out there looking for me too.
Eff it. Gonna pay $2,000 if I got to, I spent TUESDAY trying to beat that. Found two more at $2,000 and AGAIN, the cheap ones hide and nobody wants to sell one. Don't mean they aint out there.

That's it . Right?
Anyone else agree?

OR that has a 205..

Waitin on their reply.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I laughed all over again...it says "three weeks later"
Dood was srsly wound up!
Lmmfao I wonder how much SANKA he had to drink in three weeks before he got calmed down? :rolleyes:

I may have actually found one in Texas, waiting on the pix. Near $500.
Speaking of, just got off the phone with Mike in DALLAS . Cool effing dude, BTW.

He's found a 4x4 th350-C case to build.
Shipped to me fresh built for my truck with a warranty bout $1000. Includes 350C specific convertor... :(

Commissioning him actually seems like a viable option..im tellin ya, what I want isnt found on a shelf and i'd rather source a different case, there is one for sale on eBay -$225.

I maybe found a different trans from a 1981 k10 they say. I spoke to this guy on the phone 3 times. Coy is his name. Long output shaft, 27 splines, bolted to np208.He called his distributor to verify.
It's there.
Fresh rebuilt,with convertor,free delivery, THREE YEAR warranty $1625 +3-400$ install . 2k is the number to beat but the goal is the 1750 i give for the truck lol sadface :(
This is the second option at $2,000 i found MONDAY.

Still a couple of lines out though..
One from a 1980 6cyl K10 .. an 81 305 powered k10..went from lookin for blazer parts to jimmy to pickups through 86.
STILL hard AF! BUT ! Many more results looking for a TRUCK trans , 79-86 is the range I search.

Unicorn transmissions are hard to find but NOW there is NO WAY IN HELL :mad: that i wont own at least one haha.

I know its out there looking for me too.
Eff it. Gonna pay $2,000 if I got to, I spent TUESDAY trying to beat that. Found two more at $2,000 and AGAIN, the cheap ones hide and nobody wants to sell one. Don't mean they aint out there.

That's it . Right?
Anyone else agree?

OR that has a 205..

Waitin on their reply.

If original, that one's a 205.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I thought it might be, seems common with a 6.
Thanks for that input. Wonder if it's all there...they might could sell it ALL to me lol.
Bah. They got good prices it looks like? Dont want all that trouble no, but I would nut on a 205.
Might be worth it.

I got two more shots left regionally, that I know of . Today. REGIONALLY. Dude said today I was cool with the Honda so maybe i'll look a little more but old boy in Dallas is on.board. his price is on.par. and it'll be exactly what I want AND need.
I should spend more time looking for 81-86 K10 though..it could save a ton of money.
Finally figured out THAT seems like what to shop for.
Maybe i'll get a bite tomorrow..

That national rebuilder guy I talked to three times called from a local area code number. He is waiting to hear back from his warehouse guy to verify 27 splines.
Long shaft he said. For NP 208 he said. Out of an 81K10 he said.
Three year warranty even BUT the **** part of THAT deal was no same core (added$300) AND Oklahoma internet sales tax adds another 100. (Only state in the nation he says.)
That was $1625 plus id have to get it installed, buy fluid and a kickdown cable.

$2,000.

Trying to come to grips with spending $2,000 on a three speed transmission for a 32 year old truck in primer is all.
Im 100% down to replace the evaporator but ****.

I hate the primer...LoL:(
Adds white Suburban fenders, primered the whole black truck. :nono:
/smh
Wtf y me gawd?
:angels2:

P.O.wners... ,/facepalm

Im NOT gonna hack another 2wd transmission in it again. No.Way.
Not a viable option.
Sure as hell not buying one without some kind of warranty either. 90 days would have been plenty since the other one didnt even last 30 days.

$1,000

:suicide:

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The GM NP208s have either a female 27 tooth input spline (originally coupled to a 700R transmission), or a female 32 spline input (originally coupled to a SM465 or TH400 transmissions).

TH350's are 27 spline and were only mated to 208 in '80-'82, but very infrequently, so you probably won't find one. If you wanted to bolt the 208 to a TH350 your best bet is this, provided the 208 came off a 700r4.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...-adapter-kit-replacing-700r-transadapter-kit/

Wait.
80-82 in a K5/Jimmy right?
81-86 in a K10?
Whats the difference?

Am I really forced to buy the $2000 81? OR make my own?
For $2,000?
Grr.

Today I boiled down to "if that's what it takes" because it is sure as hell is what I want. :(:(:(

It is what im going to get. Nothing will stop me now just trying to figure out the best way is all. :shrug:

I know 87 tried to talk some sense into me and that seems reasonable - for somebody else - but for ME that sounds punk and I ain't goin out like a bitch.
This ******* aint never tucked tail in his life and i aint startin now!

Not badder than me..
It's just money.

81-86 in a half ton is real then?
You guys see it that way?
30 splines in a 20 or a 30 and 32 splines for mantran.
Basically.
But that dont list a 30 spline option.

81-86 in a k10 is how I read it and what I
oughta be after.
Which means the 81 dude is gonna call me back about tomorrow COULD REALLY BE A UNICORN!
It's either 32 or 27 spline according to that...according to that salesman guy whose name is actually COY...I bet it is. That's a kickass name.

That would be SO BAD ASS to find a real-live, bona-fide, OEM , UNICORN- IN THE WILD?!
:wtf: :biggun:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76