208 the same as 203 or 205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The 350 transmission dude told me to buy says it fits 203 or 205 transfer cases but mine is a 208.
Do not find a transmission that says it is for a 208 case.
The 205 is way different right?
The 208 is just an aluminum 203 or am I stupid?

Big opening there...let er rip.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Omg I asked this question twenty minutes ago...it says there are 450 OTHER dudes hangin out in this sausage fest.

None of you know? Ive almost made it through the HALF HOUR WAIT TIME on the phone with Jegs!

:mad:
Lmao wtf is wrong with you people?

I'll answer this question for you in one minute she says.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The first guy that answered, "Rick" said he doesnt know either.
:rolleyes:
I asked Rick kindly to put me back on hold so I could find a 4x4 guy.
:(

If i'm surrounded by morons, why am I the only guy here? o_O

Lmao

Wait.... o_O

Rofl

What?:banghead:

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You come off kinda rude, that’s why people ignore you.

welcome to the internet. :33:

Muahaha.
They will bolt up, depending on the adapter. Round face vs the figure 8 mount. What do you have. And what are you actually trying to do? Your question is very incomplete.
you have a round faced 208 and the adapter and bought a new transmission. If you take that adapter and transfer case they should bolt onto the 350

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think the 208 will be fine but I will need the adapter from the 700r4 to bolt it to a th350 since the np 203 uses a weird shape bolt up pattern vs the the 208 having a typical 6 bolt round pattern

? Makes no sense, stupid copy and paste ********

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The NP203 was used from 1971 to 1978. This transfer case was mated to the TH350, TH400, and SM465 transmission. In 1981, GM introduced the NP208 chain-driven transfer case. ... This transfer case, as far as bolt patterns and splines are concerned, is identical to the NP208.

Thats what i thought.

Lots of the keyboard warriors in here dont know the first thing about fixing trucks but everybody has an opinion and they all get to talk **** equally.

It is very entertaining but one must choose their sources wisely.

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The 208 was also behind the 350s in the early 80s

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Rusty you beg for help , dont mention what transmission your np208 is coming from and get mad when someone doesn’t give you a 45 minute education on everything you need to know about transfer case generations and applications.
I think the 208 will be fine but I will need the adapter from the 700r4 to bolt it to a th350 since the np 203 uses a weird shape bolt up pattern vs the the 208 having a typical 6 bolt round pattern

And here is a perfect example of you running your mouth The adapter from the 700r4 DOESNT fit the 350 without mods. You need the adapter from the 350.
but you never mentioned WHAT trans you had bolted on your 208.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
All I know is the 203 was available in '79 too, as my K15 had one.

I can't answer the technical part of this, but I was looking at ORD and here's a 700R4 adapter for a NP208 (GM 15597796). $50 in their Bargain Barn. Couple on eBay too, for a little less. Ebay says it works for a TH350.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/catal...n-barn-used-700r4-np208-adapter/category/653/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=15597796+&_sacat=0

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thanks @Craig 85 .

For certain differing years for those parts. I cannot pin one definitive answer down.

I find myself wondering why in the world my buddy would tell me to buy a TCI Maximizer 4x4 trans.

It very clearly says it fits a 203 or a 205.
Does it fit np208?
"I dont know."

Wtf is wrong with people? It's really just me?

I'll not live the rest of my life like this.

Last year Chevrolet sold a K5 new with a th350 was '86.?
My K5 is an 88, converted to th350 BUT it's a 2wd convert with a 2 inch spacer = ghetto.
Stands to reason it duplicates a 1986 or = setup. I went to the shop to force his attention and get answers.
It used to be a 700r4,, obviously?

Youd think somebody that has been spinning wrenches for THIRTY YEARS would already know that .

We spoke about it face to face.

Looking to purchase days ago, i realize the potential abortion and ask him wtf he told me to buy a FOURTEEN HUNDRED TRANSMISSION for if he dont know it will fit?

Pissed off is not the right word.
Too dumb to pay attention for five fvcking minutes straight. If it's longer than a commercial break, you can forget it.

I talked to THREE DIFFERENT people at jegs and every one said "i dont know".

Wtf? How did you get your job?
Why do you not get fired or at least educated before selling bad parts to good people?

I fail to comprehend at even the most basic level.

I guess i'll drive to a 4x4 shop in a different city and stare those dudes down the eye. I think they install what they sell which is good because I have no confidence, ZERO, when it comes to putting a simple three speed auto in a thirty year old truck .. much less building one, it should not be difficult but I promise you Brother, it seems damned near impossible even with 20x$100 bills in your hand.

I need a new mechanic.
Mine just lost that $2,000 job and I cannot be more livid.
I DO NOT WANT a TCI transmission.
Sure is great, im havin loads of fun.

This country has gone to hell.
It aint comin back either.
How did EVERYBODY ELSE get so damned DUMB?
Theres what, 10-20 men here that have knowledge? 500 people online and nobody knows
Will 22 inch rims fit without rubbing?
GROWN MEN with half a dozen offspring buying video game consoles?

I CANNOT relate.
AT.ALL.
ZERO.

If I pretended to that would make me part of the problem.
I'm not going to.

The rest are indeed non-essential.
It is clear how that term came about.

Is it bad i'm rooting for the wuhan?

Last edited:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Finding a willing 4x4 shop and a willing engine machine shop in my area is about impossible, much less any where near good ones. I understand the aggravation. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks @Craig 85 .

For certain differing years for those parts. I cannot pin one definitive answer down.

I find myself wondering why in the world my buddy would tell me to buy a TCI Maximizer 4x4 trans.

It very clearly says it fits a 203 or a 205.
Does it fit np208?
"I dont know."

Wtf is wrong with people? It's really just me?

I'll not live the rest of my life like this.

Last year Cheverolet sold a K5 new with a th350 was '86.
My K5 is an 88, converted to th350 BUT it's a 2wd convert with a 2 inch spacer = ghetto.
Stands to reason it duplicates a 1986 or = setup. I went to the shop to force his attention and get answers.
It used to be a 700r4,, obviously?

Youd think somebody that has been spinning wrenches for THIRTY YEARS would already know that .

We spoke about it face to face.

Looking to purchase days ago, i realize the potential abortion and ask him wtf he told me to buy a FOURTEEN HUNDRED TRANSMISSION for if he dont know it will fit?

Pissed off is not the right word.
Too dumb to pay attention for five fvcking minutes straight. If it's longer than a commercial break, you can forget it.

I talked to THREE DIFFERENT people at jegs and every one said "i dont know".

Wtf? How did you get your job?
Why do you not get fired or at least educated before selling bad parts to good people?

I fail to comprehend at even the most basic level.

I guess i'll drive to a 4x4 shop in a different city and stare those dudes down the eye. I think they install what they sell which is good because I have no confidence, ZERO, when it comes to putting a simple three speed auto in a thirty year old truck .. much less building one, it should not be difficult but I promise you Brothter, it seems damned near impossible even with 20x$100 bills in your hand.

I need a new mechanic.
Mine just lost that $2,000 job and I cannot be more livid.
I DO NOT WANT a TCI transmission.
Sure is great, im havin loads of fun.

This country has gone to hell.
It aint comin back either.
How did EVERYBODY ELSE get so damned DUMB?
Theres what, 10-20 men here that have knowledge? The rest are non-essential. It is clear how that term came about.
Sorry for your ****** day Rusty. If you have the np208 and a 350. Get the adapter for the th350 to np208. There were a few np205/ being used until like 83 or 84 (later in some HD applications ). So make sure it’s a 208. Your local JY should have them relatively inexpensive. The 700r4 one will not work. The output shaft on the 700r4 is too short to engage. It’ll all bolt up and look good but it WONT WORK. I wish you luck man. Sorry about the whole situation.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Second thought here.. Take it with a grain of salt. Instead of spending money on another auto 4x4 trans. You could spend around $3400 or so (big bill to swallow), and order up a rebuilt 4x4 gm nv4500 with all the needed stuff to swap minus pedal assembly. It would accept a np208. Plus give you a strong trans with OD.

That being said it depends on what your wanting from the truck and what you want to be spending.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
The GM NP208s have either a female 27 tooth input spline (originally coupled to a 700R transmission), or a female 32 spline input (originally coupled to a SM465 or TH400 transmissions).

TH350's are 27 spline and were only mated to 208 in '80-'82, but very infrequently, so you probably won't find one. If you wanted to bolt the 208 to a TH350 your best bet is this, provided the 208 came off a 700r4.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...-adapter-kit-replacing-700r-transadapter-kit/

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think he’d frown on spending the money to have the output shaft swapped but... now that I think about it. The factory 350/ 208s might have had the Longer output shaft (in the 350) any ways. It’s hard to remember without the parts here for measurements. I agree it might be better to give this trans back to Jegs

Also the spacer on the one you have now is probably originally a 2wd trans converted to a 4x.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64