208 the same as 203 or 205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
A lock up bop case - the chevy cases are worse.
This is 1980 Bonneville.

You must be registered for see images attach

You get the point. I dont gotta post a bunch of examples , there are many variations.
A CBC NLU case is what ya want.

I think.
Only 69-78 is good.

Narrow that further to a Heavy Duty 4x4 in a Big10 for example. Such a thing? I dont know if such a mythical uber case was real or not.
But its fun to look for..

Older the better?

Maybe im dreaming but obviously not all cases are created equal.
The th350s with THIS 9 inch output came from bad ass trucks i gather lookin at you 4x4 big 10.
All you gotta do is find the combination of NLU 9 inch output WITH CBC case.
Thats the unicorn case but then gotta add a 12 inch shaft.
:shrug:
I dont even know if its real.

Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
We used to call those "multi" case back in the day. Fit all GM lines when each product actually had their own engines, those were typically found in cars though.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yessirrrr!!

I'm turned onto Oldsmobile F85 and Oldsmobile 442. Apparently those cars had really bad ass transmissions that were all unicased. Some Firebirds even. Think i'll give Gary Camaro a call next week.

Old boy in Dallas is still down to build wtfe I send him he says..he doesnt have a core to build so if I decide to buy a badass $300 case and mail it to a stranger and trust he will gill it with good V8 guts, that remains an option OR I can mail him a case AND a core...:rolleyes: - to a dude on Craigslist... In a different state...

still talking to a couple of new Prospects but much to my chagrin - EVERYBODY ELSE has boned out hence the real careful talking I referenced earlier . Maybe they didn't get to calling me back or whatever cuz I did get a late email at 3pm.
I have a list of muggs and contact two per day. Every day this week.

Old Dude even messaged talkin about wanting to make it right - which is cool - but I simply cannot afford that again - it's not an option.
Not mad, im over it - already found another grand and gonna give some new guy a shot to build a wicked case once in his life.

There is one for sale on ebay...not too high but empty and screw buying two more transmissions.

Shopping for 40-45 year old BOP cores now because it seems many were unicased and it certainly looks strong!:33:
Heavy duty even.

A promising Prospect I contacted only today today offers a "custom heavy duty 4x4 case" when selecting options. Only one out of 10. They responded with "building custom transmission is all we do." o_O "tell us about your project"

Sweet. Let's talk about that! Their website quotes $1399. :drool:
My messages have grown to three paragraphs with seven pictures. :(
6 of 10 have bailed , to date.

I...

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is there a specific reason a th400 is off the table? Transfer case?

Strength is sounding like a primary concern from your last few posts and for a non-lockup tranny from the General, that’s where the buck stops.

NP208 TCs splined for the th400 aren’t exactly unobtanium. That’d keep you from having to mess with the 4wd selector too much compared to a 205. If your rear transfer case yoke had as much showing as my cucv did, you may get away with not shortening your rear driveline and the front may still have enough slip for average wheeling.

This is all conjecture of course as I’ve only ever owned a th400.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is there a specific reason a th400 is off the table? Transfer case?

Strength is sounding like a primary concern from your last few posts and for a non-lockup tranny from the General, that’s where the buck stops.

NP208 TCs splined for the th400 aren’t exactly unobtanium. That’d keep you from having to mess with the 4wd selector too much compared to a 205. If your rear transfer case yoke had as much showing as my cucv did, you may get away with not shortening your rear driveline and the front may still have enough slip for average wheeling.

This is all conjecture of course as I’ve only ever owned a th400.

The factory installed trans combos with the 208 were actually all the same overall length, so it makes it real easy. That's why the '81 and up 4x4 version of the TH350 had a longer output shaft than the earlier version, so the overall length was the same as the other new-for-'81 combos.

Well, that's an assumption I guess. I've never dealt with that exact combo before. But the th400/208, 700r4/208, and sm465/208 combos all share the same overall length.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lol nice disclaimer.

Lol @ he said drivel..and this is page 2 mmmkay drivelboy?? :badger_1:

I cant begin to rationalize swapping to a 400.
For fun?
Nahhh

No desire
No need
No interest

Plus it takes twice as much power to spin = I'm good!
Beats the **** out of anything new. 10 grand is a STEAL.

Ive got a year in this truck fixing it up, i'm really not into working on it. At . all.
It's fixed.
Bonnie Blazer is gonna be a $10,000 truck.
It'll get painted by then. $10K finished + stereo. A ten thousand dollar k5.

I had 10 grand in the '75. :poop:

I'm not changing transmissions... :( to a slower one.
(Unnecessarily)

A few thousand dollars' worth of fix in it NOW and it still needs trans and Evaporator. :blah:

See I was gonna have the A/C fixed by now.:(

F- over it already. :Bye:

I bet driving it would be a real hoot though. It's actually kinda quick,,, best I recall. :driver:

Oh lol

Plus! It's in PRIMER. Hahahaha it drives me nutz :crazy:

Sall drivel anyways

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl