2 Piece Drive Shaft - No coming apart....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalgaryBiker007

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Hello. I have a 1977 GMC 1500. The carrier bearing is shot. I removed the 2 piece drive shaft from the truck. The issue is, the 2 piece drive shaft is not separating apart. It pulls out most of the way but something seems to be stopping it from coming apart. Can anyone tell me why and how to separate the shaft into 2 units so I can remove the carrier bearing. Is it the grease nipple? Does it need to be removed for the shaft to separate?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hello. I have a 1977 GMC 1500. The carrier bearing is shot. I removed the 2 piece drive shaft from the truck. The issue is, the 2 piece drive shaft is not separating apart. It pulls out most of the way but something seems to be stopping it from coming apart. Can anyone tell me why and how to separate the shaft into 2 units so I can remove the carrier bearing. Is it the grease nipple? Does it need to be removed for the shaft to separate?
Is there a sheet metal nut at the end of the female part of the shaft? If so you will need to remove that and it should just pull apart. I would mark either part so when you put it back together it will be phased correctly if not it will shake your teeth out and damage your output shaft and pinion seal.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Thread moved to the proper section :waytogo:

CalgaryBiker007

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Awesome. Thanks so much. My brother actually told me the same thing. Mystery solved and job done. Thanks so much Honky Kong jr. If anyone in future is searching and comes across this thread, I made a brief video on what it takes to change the bearing to hopefully help others. Good note above as well about orientation. My drive shaft splines were both actually indexed, though I did not know that when disassembling so I marked the orientations at either end of each spline to be sure it went back together the same way. After it was apart, I saw it was indexed so it can only go together 1 way. A nice surprise.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Glad it all worked out. I know about the double spline but wanted to cement the fact that it needs to go back the same way. Also just in case some one before you modified the shaft, its better safe then sorry I always mark them. Some times redundancy isn't a bad thing.:favorites13:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20