1999 Suburban 10 bolt pinion bearings replace.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine has a 99 Burb with a 10 bolt that is making some pinion noise. We are assuming a bearing issue with the pinion. I haven't pulled the cover yet to see if its full of shavings or not. We have been searching for a different rear axle with little success so far because it is 3.73:1 and apparently made of gold or somthing. Anyway I am considering taking it apart and replacing the pinion bearings,races crush sleeve and seal. My question is, assuming it doesn't have shavings in every bearing and everything else looks ok what are the chances I will be successful? Do I need to reset the gear mesh or lash?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine has a 99 Burb with a 10 bolt that is making some pinion noise. We are assuming a bearing issue with the pinion. I haven't pulled the cover yet to see if its full of shavings or not. We have been searching for a different rear axle with little success so far because it is 3.73:1 and apparently made of gold or somthing. Anyway I am considering taking it apart and replacing the pinion bearings,races crush sleeve and seal. My question is, assuming it doesn't have shavings in every bearing and everything else looks ok what are the chances I will be successful? Do I need to reset the gear mesh or lash?
I've seen a lot of ring and pinion failures in the 8.6 rears. Might be better off doing a whole rebuild including all bearings and ring and pinion. If a bearing did fail it was sure to start eating teeth. But to answer your question if gear wear did occur you will have to reset tooth mesh set up. And if your gonna do that might as well get a master set and new gears you will be in that far not to many steps more to do it completely. Just my .02

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I've seen a lot of ring and pinion failures in the 8.6 rears. Might be better off doing a whole rebuild including all bearings and ring and pinion. If a bearing did fail it was sure to start eating teeth. But to answer your question if gear wear did occur you will have to reset tooth mesh set up. And if your gonna do that might as well get a master set and new gears you will be in that far not to many steps more to do it completely. Just my .02

I figure it really needs a full rebuild. I havent ever done it and really don't have time to putz with it right now. Thats why we were looking for a different rear for the truck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It really isn't that horrible to do. Just gotta pay attention to details and be careful when measuring and have a few instrument to measure with. Dial indicator and a dial inch pound torque wrench are very important to have on hand.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A few yrs ago I rebuilt a 10 bolt gov bomb in my Bros zr2 s10 4wd. It was roaring pretty loud. Found right side carrier bearing and inside pinion bearing bad. Replaced carrier bearings and pinion bearings. Replaced axle seals and checked axle bearings. Installed new crush sleeve and preloaded. No backlash adj needed. Filled with oil and hit the road. Roaring gone.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
We came across a 14 bolt SF six lug axle for $200 but I am not totally sure on the fitment. I read that it bolts in and all you need is a conversion U-joint to go to a 1350 on the 14. I also read there was a width difference. We looked at it last night but passed because I was not sure if the drive shaft would work.

James D Merryman

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hey guys,

James D Merryman

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It takes experience to properly set up rear ends If you replace the pinion brgs 4 example reuse original shim and set preload to about 30 inch lbs drag crushing the sleeve will take a lot of effort using a cheater pipe is best way , remember torque it slow stop when it has slight resistance turning by hand

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
We came across a 14 bolt SF six lug axle for $200 but I am not totally sure on the fitment. I read that it bolts in and all you need is a conversion U-joint to go to a 1350 on the 14. I also read there was a width difference. We looked at it last night but passed because I was not sure if the drive shaft would work.
At least the drive shaft would need to be shortened....way cheaper then lengthened and you could get the proper yoke installed.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately the reason i am pushing him to replace the diff is because he decided to ignore the noise and tow his 24' camper 300+ miles round trip. The noise is in sync with the drive shaft spinning ans sounds like something grinding against the driveshaft. I ran it in gear on jack stands it have a bad feeling it is toast. The plug for checking the lube is seized so he has never checked or replaced it in the three years he has owned it. Not sure what he expected.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP