1985 Scottsdale, finally getting some love.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugger-4641

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New to the group here. I've got an '85 Scottsdale 3/4ton 4wd that's been sitting for about 10yrs now and finally made it to the top of my list of projects. It was my daily driver back in the early 2000's but a couple breakdowns and a long story of life events caused it to get parked circa 2015. The body is still solid other than some surface rust on the cab and small holes in the cab corners. I'll be addressing that as soon as I have it mechanically sound again. I've taken care of it as much as possible while it sat, but obviously it's got issues now that it didn't have when I parked it so I'm hoping you guys can help me get it back in shape.
So I have periodically started it and moved it over the last decade, kept it full of fuel, oil, TFF, coolant, etc. The main reason it got parked was my life situation at the time. I had other trucks to drive, so when the brake booster went out, rear brake cylinders seized up, and heater core started leaking it got parked and months turned into years, you know the story.
So after some fluid maintenance and a day of replacing battery cables, killing wasps, removing mud dauber nests, etc, I finally got around to dragging it up to my shop. I replaced the rear cylinders, bypassed the heater core for now, and drove it a few miles the other day. Not real fun driving it with inoperable brake booster, but it was good to get it out again. Got a new heater core on the bench, brake booster ordered, and working thru electrical issues now. First one being: I've lost the starter solenoid circuit. I can short out the starter lugs and get started, but turning the ignition switch will not engage the starter. I've probably lost one of the fusible links because I have no dash lights, but the wipers, headlights, and horn work fine. Looking at the wiring diagrams I have, they show the NSS is in play on this year truck. It's on the steering column, so I unplugged and bypassed it just to see, still no power to starter solenoid when key is turned. So I'm trying to determine if it's my ignition switch contacts actually not working or something else. When I turn the key, all the warning lights function and choke light comes on, but no clicky clicky from the starter. The diagrams I have show a yellow wire from the NSS goes to ignition switch, but ignition switch diagram does not have a yellow wire. So I suspect I'm looking at flawed wiring schematics. I'm hoping I can narrow this down without tearing the dash apart to trace wires as I'm getting a little old for laying upside down in the floor board. Can anyone recommend an accurate wiring schematic or suggestion for finding this problem?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Welcome from Missouri.

Hugger-4641

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome. But nothing you say is true without pic's.
Coming soon, still have to figure this site out and get familiar.
Here's exactly what my truck looked like when the paint was still perfect 15yrs ago, still got the stock wheels and caps on it with Co-op Grip Spurs still on it.

The red and grey scheme on this 87 with some similar Mickey T's is what I'm thinking mine will look like when I'm done.

Attachments

• 1985-chevrolet-k20-scottsdale.jpg
    1985-chevrolet-k20-scottsdale.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Trucks.jpg
    Trucks.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 13

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Welcome aboard !

fofiddyfo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Welcome from Wisco! I like your truck!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well if you have lights, (always hot) and you have wipers, (accessories) then you probably do not have a burn fusible links. The ignition switch low on the column is connected by a rod to the key cylinder. Tilt column has more parts. The ignition switch is adjustable. The rod may not be moving it enough.

Did you try to power the starter solenoid from the neutral safety switch plug? That will tell you if that wire to the starter is open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee