1985 K/10 Ps Door Lock Not Getting Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hgutfeld909

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi, I recently purchased my first square body (85 Chevy K/10). I've always been a fan of these trucks and finally pulled the trigger, and am eager to learn more about them. However, being a 38-year-old truck, it has its flaws... One of them being the Passenger door lock is not working. Each switch will activate the driver's side lock but not the passenger's side. The previous owner stated it might just be the lock actuator, which he gave me to replace. The other day, I went to replace the window seal and figured it would be a good time to replace the actuator to try and get that working; however, I came to find out the actuator isn't getting power the switch has 12v in, and out as well as ground but the power is not making it back to the PS actuator. Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and where to start. I'm sure it will be a ground issue as every electrical story usually ends, but any assistance locating that would be greatly appreciated.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check continuity from switch to actuator and from actuator to chassis ground.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would start tracing back from the actuator if it's not getting power. Somewhere between actuator and relay. Maybe if you're lucky a connector isn't plugged in well. (there should be one before entering the door- tan & gray wires)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a broken wire in the pivot/rubber boot/door jam.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Both sides of mine had a broken connector on the plug that went to the lock switch. They looked good but as soon as I gave a little pull they came right apart. Touching the wire back allowed them to work.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If both switches activate the driver side- the switches and switch wires should be fine along with the relay. (assuming it is an original relay) Both wires to the actuator should be to ground when not in operation. They are grounded at the relay. The switch powers the relay- the relay opens the ground and adds current to one of the wires (depending on lock or unlock) going to the actuator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad