1985 454 36k orig miles experts advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i see you guys talk about roll backs.. i am 99% sure this truck was never rolled back... original 85 receipt, 1 owner, the guy who is selling it to me is a jewish rabi, my brother has been moving for this company for a year, the owner of it has been doing charity work with the guy who is selling it to me for over 10 years... he said he drove it for 2 months and the only problem is a slight back fire.. what is the diff between c10 and c20? this is a long bed correct? .. the interior is spotless , it started first try, duel gas tanks with the switch... all that oil under transfer case, was that maybe a past problem with a gasket tha twas fixed?? also when i looked under it the plastic covers for the fuel tanks on both sides the bolt were bolted but never put back in the whole on both sides, not sure what that means... im just wondering if i can only get 3k is it worth that much? i think i may want to keep this and redo it i love working on stuff, im a union electrician so i love making stuff look nice, I read all your guys posts on interior exterior all that... what i dont know is this...

how much would that 454 motor be worth? would it be smart to take that out and replace with 350? what are the big differences between the 2?? i can invest 3-7 k in this over the next 2-3 months also.. i dont know alot about vehicles tho, only basics.. how does that exahaust look with all those spots?? cany information will help me out in my decision tom.. i will hopefully get him down to around 2100-2400ish.. he needs to get rid of it in 2 weeks so he can't rent his house out.. thansk again guys,

shane

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah, that truck is in great shape. Almost what I'd call a barn find. Being 3/4 ton and yes a 454 is certainly an option. Look in the glove box and see all the RPO codes of all the featured options the truck comes with. That interior color is my 2nd favorite. Why would you need to invest 3-7K in this truck? Buy it, fix the minor things it needs and drive it. I'd leave it as. If your worried about resale value, any older vehicle is worth more in it's ORIGINAL condition. I'd also leave the 454. You're not going to save any mpg with a 350 if your driving it. You'll save if you're just sitting an ideling. If there is any difference, it might be 1-2 mpg. Now that I see the condition of it, and know what it is, I'd pay the $3K for it and drive it as is. If you can get him down to $2500 then that's even better. From what I can see on the exhaust, that's just normal being used exhaust. I think you're expecting it to look all brand new since most of it does. All of my exhaust looks like those spots and that one will to after it gets some miles on it, and it driven in wet weather.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You must be registered for see images attach

so what do you guys think?? please opinions / how does it look? rust/oil leak do you guys think this is worth 3 grand? do you think i could sell it for more? or do you think this would be a nice truck to drive around and put some money into it?

i see you guys talk about roll backs.. i am 99% sure this truck was never rolled back... original 85 receipt, 1 owner, the guy who is selling it to me is a jewish rabi, my brother has been moving for this company for a year, the owner of it has been doing charity work with the guy who is selling it to me for over 10 years... he said he drove it for 2 months and the only problem is a slight back fire.. what is the diff between c10 and c20? this is a long bed correct? .. the interior is spotless , it started first try, duel gas tanks with the switch... all that oil under transfer case, was that maybe a past problem with a gasket tha twas fixed?? also when i looked under it the plastic covers for the fuel tanks on both sides the bolt were bolted but never put back in the whole on both sides, not sure what that means... im just wondering if i can only get 3k is it worth that much? i think i may want to keep this and redo it i love working on stuff, im a union electrician so i love making stuff look nice, I read all your guys posts on interior exterior all that... what i dont know is this...

how much would that 454 motor be worth? would it be smart to take that out and replace with 350? what are the big differences between the 2?? i can invest 3-7 k in this over the next 2-3 months also.. i dont know alot about vehicles tho, only basics.. how does that exahaust look with all those spots?? cany information will help me out in my decision tom.. i will hopefully get him down to around 2100-2400ish.. he needs to get rid of it in 2 weeks so he can't rent his house out.. thansk again guys,

shane

No, you won't be able to buy it and sell it for more unless you're talking a few hundred dollars. You're not going to get rich selling it. I would NOT be buying it for resale. If you're going to buy it to make money, you might be sitting on it for awhile. It looks like it had a gooseneck trailer hitch plate in it at one time. Being in the bed, that can be fixed, but it will show unless you had it fixed professionally and filled in and repainted. Why does it need a tailgate? I have a feeling that one pictured was taken off for the gooseneck hook up. Are the tailgate mounts missing? Those are easy to get a U pull it yard and about 5 minutes to install.

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks for the information.. i appreciate it.. i meant to invest like a better suspension, maybe heads/exhaust upgrade, definately a stereo system... if imma drive it, i want it to feel nice on the road, going to dynamat it.. i thought it would be worth more money than 3k.. so if i can't resell it.. i'll put some money into it and drive it like you said, enjoy it.. but if imma enjoy it i live in vegas it gets hot and noisy on road lol.. you wouldn't want to upgrade anything if it was your only vehicle? i'll use this truck to get around and since it has lower miles and cheaper than even new vehicles i'll go with this.. that way i can always have a truck anyways for moving or things you need a truck for haha

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i honestly would be happier not having to put money into it... i have no idea what i would even upgrade yet... but usually like there are things you can pay money for and make it a better feel all around driving it... like not having to feel every bump in road, being quiet, having a nice system to listen to music.. things like that... but if i can get it for a good price, I will gladly talk to you all more, and I love doing things myself and going to pick a part and saving money on thigns like that... i figured i could get a new square piece cut out at yard, and reweld it, put a bed liner on it.. and i dont know much about carb engines, or heads or what not.. but if i would paint repaint it and make it look nice i would rather do that, if it only has 1 owner and was babied, maybe this could be my truck i always have.. u know what i mean? like all ur trucks mean something to you... if this will never be worth that much... i always have my girlfriend 40 mpg car to drive long distances or whenever lmao!!!

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok i will tom on the code thing.. i just know its a 454, what kind of what it comes with are you talking about? i know its automatic, manual windows.. i already looked and started it and drove it it drives nice.. what could be the backfiring on decel? and what about all that oil under covering all the bolts and pipes by that transfer case? what would that be bro? im taking my mechanic friend with me to look at motor pressure test the valves and whatever else he has planned.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Nice truck. I'd just run it and drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB