1978 K10 Pitman Arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys, new to the forum and to Chevy square body trucks. I just got my truck a couple weeks ago and the teeth in the pitman arm are stripped out. So long story short, I need a pitman arm. Anyone know where I can find one? Junk yards won't sell me just the arm without the whole steering box and I really don't want to spend that unless I absolutely have too. Places like JC Whitney only have the steering arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I know you can get dropped pitman arms but I would stay away from them as the geometry is off when you use them. Even for a lifted truck the raised steering arm works way better.

I would say you are stuck with the price of a steering gear box at the wreckers!

Make sure you torque the pitman arm to the steering gear shaft @ 90 ft lbs and re torque it after you have driven it for a day.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys, new to the forum and to Chevy square body trucks. I just got my truck a couple weeks ago and the teeth in the pitman arm are stripped out. So long story short, I need a pitman arm. Anyone know where I can find one? Junk yards won't sell me just the arm without the whole steering box and I really don't want to spend that unless I absolutely have too. Places like JC Whitney only have the steering arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

This is for a 77 K5 blazer but it shouldn't be much different.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mog-k6143/overview/year/1977/make/chevrolet/model/k5-blazer

But I do know that their are different pitman arms depending on the year of vehicle so posting a pic would help as well.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not home right now or else I would take a picture but it looks very similar to the one In that picture firebane. I didn't even think of looking for one for a blazer. The only ones I could seem to find were the dropped ones for a lifted truck. Guess I just didn't look look for the right thing. I don't see why that wouldn't work. Summit is usually good for returns if for some reason it doesn't work

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
if your pitman arms teeth are stripped then your steering box teeth are stripped. or at least damaged. btw some of the pitman arm do not have teeth all the way around, also that pic from summit is not a 4x4 pitman arm. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
if your pitman arms teeth are stripped then your steering box teeth are stripped. or at least damaged. btw some of the pitman arm do not have teeth all the way around, also that pic from summit is not a 4x4 pitman arm. highdesertranger

I already tried to tell them that!

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ouch that's a little steep for just the arm. I'd probably be better off buying the whole thing unless I find the right one cheaper. The steering box is fine. I ruined the pitman arm doing something stupid lol. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I guess

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I think I might have one somewhere, I just gotta look for it. Hopefully it didn't get scrapped, its been quite a few years.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
How do you strip out the pitman arm? Those things are bulletproof.

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry guys haven't had Internet. Well when I bought the truck, it wasn't turning right far enough. It would turn left just fine. But I could barely make a right turn. Someone replaced the pitman arm and the steering wasn't straight would be my guess. I think the truck was wrecked because it's a 78 with an 81 front clip. Anyways, took me forever to get it off. Put it back on and I couldn't get the bolt in. It wasn't perfect. So I figured I'd pull it off another day and reset it. Stupid me, I was showing my dad that it was as close as I was gonna get it by turning the wheel without a bolt in it. Stripped the whole thing. Oh well what are you gonna do. Sh*t happens right?

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you still have one, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd sell it to me

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Sorry guys haven't had Internet. Well when I bought the truck, it wasn't turning right far enough. It would turn left just fine. But I could barely make a right turn. Someone replaced the pitman arm and the steering wasn't straight would be my guess. I think the truck was wrecked because it's a 78 with an 81 front clip. Anyways, took me forever to get it off. Put it back on and I couldn't get the bolt in. It wasn't perfect. So I figured I'd pull it off another day and reset it. Stupid me, I was showing my dad that it was as close as I was gonna get it by turning the wheel without a bolt in it. Stripped the whole thing. Oh well what are you gonna do. Sh*t happens right?

You just needed to adjust the drag link. The adjustable piece between the drag link and the steering arm.

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wish I had known this sooner lol. Oh well. Ya live and learn. My steering wheel was completely upside anyways

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31