14 bolt 10.5" rear disc conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kid26jr

Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm new to the forum and looked around but didn't see anything on it. I have an k10 the has been k20 swapped. It has a Dana 44 in front and a 14 bolt in the back. Wanting to switch to disc in the rear any suggestions?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I did this last year on my 98 K2500, used a kit from Lugnut4x4, had the brackets, lines, calipers, everything for cheaper than I could buy them for.

For a FF like yours, there are tons of weld on brackets, so you could go that route with a squarebody front caliper and save a little.

http://lugnut4x4.com/product-category/rear/

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I did this last year on my 98 K2500, used a kit from Lugnut4x4, had the brackets, lines, calipers, everything for cheaper than I could buy them for.

For a FF like yours, there are tons of weld on brackets, so you could go that route with a squarebody front caliper and save a little.

http://lugnut4x4.com/product-category/rear/

That's a great price. I bought the brackets Offroad Design makes, they're heavy-duty but expensive, and that's all you get. (http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/14FFdisckit.htm) Brackets, spacers and mounting bolts. Had to buy calipers which I got K10 fronts but I hear K20 fronts have bigger pistons. I had a couple spare calipers laying around and a lifetime warranty receipt so I just swapped them out. Had to buy front rubber lines for K10 and figure out how to mount them. I used large washers welded to the leaf spring top plate. Also got a cheap adjustable proportion valve from Jegs but I've read you can modify the stock proportion valve for more rear pressure. I've also read a lot about people trying corvette master cylinders for more fluid displacement from its bigger piston but my stock mc and prop valve works fine, I haven't even needed to adjust the Jegs valve from the neutral (middle) setting. By the way if your state requires a park brake to be street legal you may want to look into using Cadillac calipers and rotors (I forget what year).

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I got a extra set of K20s not gonna guarantee thier condition but they are good enough for cores.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Check out Cut Bro's on Facebook. They offer a kit to bolt later 14-bolt AAM 10.5" brakes onto the older 14 bolts. These use the drum-in-rotor e-brake w/ stock 2500HD calipers, if I recall right:

You must be registered for see images

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Check out Cut Bro's on Facebook. They offer a kit to bolt later 14-bolt AAM 10.5" brakes onto the older 14 bolts. These use the drum-in-rotor e-brake w/ stock 2500HD calipers, if I recall right:

I just looked those up. i have been wanting a disc brake setup w/ e-brake for my 3+3 but i didnt like the eldo calipers (i think they are too small for a loaded 1 ton).

Cut bro's sell just the adapter plate and then you source all the parts on your own. the parts are actually fairly inexpensive. $376 for parts from rock auto ($60 of that is core charges) .... but the $200 price tag for the custom brackets is a bit hard to swallow.

so all told you would be in for $600 with shipping costs and tax. not terrible, but not cheap.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I just looked those up. i have been wanting a disc brake setup w/ e-brake for my 3+3 but i didnt like the eldo calipers (i think they are too small for a loaded 1 ton).

Cut bro's sell just the adapter plate and then you source all the parts on your own. the parts are actually fairly inexpensive. $376 for parts from rock auto ($60 of that is core charges) .... but the $200 price tag for the custom brackets is a bit hard to swallow.

so all told you would be in for $600 with shipping costs and tax. not terrible, but not cheap.

Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, but it's the best option (in my useless opinion :p ), short of finding a late model axle, but then you get into modifying the spring pads and shock mounts and etc.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, but it's the best option (in my useless opinion :p ), short of finding a late model axle, but then you get into modifying the spring pads and shock mounts and etc.

I agree. After looking at many different options over years, for a daily driven street rig that has to be inspected or an owner that needs, or wants, to have an e-brake .... its definitely the best option.

and $600, all in all, isn't a lot of money for what you are getting. especially since it adapts one ton brakes rather than 3/4 ton brakes.

all of the essential parts they use can be sourced from a 2004-2010 gmc sierra 3500. I would trust it for sure on my 3+3.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I really like that solution, I'll have to see if I can make room in my budget sooner than later for a disc conversion. The parking brake has been making me hold off for some time now.

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers
I am going the Cut Bros. route on my 14bff that I will install into my K1500 which currently has a 12-bolt rear. Documented in my build thread at http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads...in-with-a-2002-5-3l.14428/page-37#post-378936

I document following their instructions AND points where they failed to document properly
I have provided feedback to them on those issues.

There I posted all the parts costs.

summary total here:

$662 in parts and lathe labor
$160 for the axle from a friend
$200 for the Cut Bros. adapter

I liked this recipe to do this since it did NOT require cutting of the axle flange nor welding the caliper bracket. It uses GM.ACDelco parts, save for the pair of adapters. AND it give a parking brake.

Lookup Cut Bros. on Facebook

link to their mostly good instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Bfrv5SpptudmQ3Yk5SdWgzOFl0MlBQdWIyZy1FcGhaZEMw/view

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20