Where is the tank selector valve supposed to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
I am rewiring my 73 chevy c10..

Trying to add wiring so that I can install the other tank and get the dual tank setup working... The switch is in the dash, and I have the second tank, ready to install..

I'm told that the selector valve is missing.. all the plumbing is there, but no valve....

I have already run an extra fuel gauge wire to the location where the tank sending unit will be.. But I am assuming that I will also need to add wires for the selector valve once I purchase one...

How many wires does that valve need, and where is it physically located?

I'm guessing only 'one' wire? Is that correct? But where should I route it to?

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's a single-wire valve, and mine is located inside the passenger frame rail where the metal line begins that goes to the front of the truck.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I am rewiring my 73 chevy c10..

Trying to add wiring so that I can install the other tank and get the dual tank setup working... The switch is in the dash, and I have the second tank, ready to install..

I'm told that the selector valve is missing.. all the plumbing is there, but no valve....

I have already run an extra fuel gauge wire to the location where the tank sending unit will be.. But I am assuming that I will also need to add wires for the selector valve once I purchase one...

How many wires does that valve need, and where is it physically located?

I'm guessing only 'one' wire? Is that correct? But where should I route it to?

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

The valve itself is in the frame right under the passenger side rear of the cab.
there is 2 wires from the dash switch to the valve then from the valve there will be a gas gauge wire going to the 2 tanks Dose your truck have fuel return lines from the fuel pump back to the tank ??? There is 2 deferent valves (1) with return line and (1) without a return line . the 1 with a return will work with either system just plug off the return nipples .

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Found this for a 77!

attachment.php