What trans/tcase in cummins swap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

td87

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ok I am trying to gather everything I need for my cummins conversion into my 85 1 ton. I purchased motor mounts and crossmember from Tennessee diesel. Ive been keeping my eyes open for a 1st or 2nd gen still (want a full donor), I have a GM np205 and a GM np208 to chose from. I want an automatic transmission but don't know what my best bet would be, if anyone could help me out that would be awesome, thanks

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
alot of people use the dodge auto. you could also use an allison but it gets a little expensive. you could go 4l80e but people say a fully built 4l80 will only hold a stock cummins. personally i like the allison and thats the route i would go... money permitting. cheapest way is nv4500.
check out www.4btswaps.com they will have more than enough information for you.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
The cheapest way is the get rag !! The little
But more expensive is the nv4500 but autos just arnt any fun !! You build a truck build it how ya want it !! But swapping a manual in is cheaper easier ! An more fun to drive

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I've done the swap and a current cummins owner. If you go with an auto and use the 47rh/re. Make sure it is properly built. A stock transmission is a trash making machine behind this engine. They make max torque at about 1900 rpms and redline stock at 2500. If you do any power mods and most people start playing with the power screw and AFC star wheel because its just to easy to it will eat you clutch pack and torque converter alive. I personally believe a triple disc, extra clutch packs, and a shift kit for extra line pressure are minimum. I would research those trannys and put as many upgrades in it as you can afford. They are basically an old 727 with an overdrive bolted to it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Overdrive trans`LL get You above 90 Miles per with factory governering.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Either way you'll want a 3200 Bosch spring. It's the highest you can go without valve springs and makes a heck of a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli