What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's true, but it took many birthdays of socks and dress shirts to get to this.
If they ever got me socks and dress shirts, I'd think they didn't even love me. I'm that guy though. I got my wife something big and red for Valentines Day one year. A Dirt Devil !!! Of course I'm divorced now.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Birthday present from my girls...they did well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now get that gaurd off there so you can put a 6inch wheel on it lol at least that's what I did but they don't stay that pretty long

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now get that gaurd off there so you can put a 6inch wheel on it lol at least that's what I did but they don't stay that pretty long
Wait !!! What??? You don't polish your tools to keep them pretty??? :shrug: But they have to stay pretty !!!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Wait !!! What??? You don't polish your tools to keep them pretty??? :shrug: But they have to stay pretty !!!

I try but brake clean just wipes the letters off and turns the rubber pink

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I just picked up one of the Harbor Freight 5 drawer tool boxes and one of those Braun 390 Lumen rechargable LED lights. It's been handy as hell working under the dash and pulling out the old wiring and AC garbage. I think the only thing I can complain about is once it runs low it doesn't give much warning and there is no way to tell how the state of charge until its pretty much fully charged. The little port around the plug goes green once it is fully charged. I think I got about 5 to 6 hours of use out of one charge. Not too bad, considering I don't normally do a 6 hour stretch in the dark under the dash, lol. I do think I am going to pick up a second one so I can have one on charger and one in use. Also will probably pick up the bigger one they have to offset it and then see if I still think I need the second one.

I also got one of the M12 (non Fuel) Milwauke 3/8 ratchets. Holy smokes, talk about a gateway drug... I've already gone through and found all the other M12 tools I want to purhase, M12 soldering iron, M12 caulk gun, m12 nasal and ear hair trimmer..... What the F will these guys think of next, lol.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Not too recent, but I'm really liking my FLIR One. For $200 and a free app for your Android or iPhone you get a decent plug-in thermal imaging camera. When you take a photo it takes both a thermal and standard shot (which of course I don't have for comparison here, sorry) and allows you to peel back the thermal image in the app so you can see what that fuzzy colored blob in the thermal image actually is.

I've found hot electrical circuits and dead cylinders with it. You can figure out where your heating bill is going too. Considering what dedicated ones cost I thought it was a decent deal.

https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-gen-3/

*Disclaimer* I have no affiliation with the company. Just liked the product.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I bought a boring ol harbour freight test light and in line spark checker just because they were cheap.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I try but brake clean just wipes the letters off and turns the rubber pink
Use denatured alcohol, I use it at work on tools and operator consoles covered in pitch, removes everything really well, just doesn't damage the plastic like the brake clean does.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Brake Clean is brutal. Even moreso than Carb Cleaner.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Not too recent, but I'm really liking my FLIR One. For $200 and a free app for your Android or iPhone you get a decent plug-in thermal imaging camera. When you take a photo it takes both a thermal and standard shot (which of course I don't have for comparison here, sorry) and allows you to peel back the thermal image in the app so you can see what that fuzzy colored blob in the thermal image actually is.

I've found hot electrical circuits and dead cylinders with it. You can figure out where your heating bill is going too. Considering what dedicated ones cost I thought it was a decent deal.

https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-gen-3/

*Disclaimer* I have no affiliation with the company. Just liked the product.

They work okay for average things, if you've never used thermal imaging much, read up on the emissivity settings. It sort of like how reflective the surface you are scanning is. Most of the cheaper (under $2k) imagers will also pick up heat your heat signature with light behind you so, will actually throw your reading off quit a bit. I use just a basic Fluke TiS45 because it has manual image adjust and the overlay picture software,

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
I recently bought a compressor it's a 1996 airman 185 diesel picked it up on Craigslist runs good but it needs an exaust

I don't know anything about them I just rolled the dice and I'm hoping it works out for me

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
They work okay for average things, if you've never used thermal imaging much, read up on the emissivity settings. It sort of like how reflective the surface you are scanning is. Most of the cheaper (under $2k) imagers will also pick up heat your heat signature with light behind you so, will actually throw your reading off quit a bit. I use just a basic Fluke TiS45 because it has manual image adjust and the overlay picture software,

All IR instruments have emissivity issues. If I'm looking to measure accurate temps I'll break out the Raytek and go through the emissivity calibrations. The FLIR works quite well for doing relative comparisons and generally picking out the hot and cold spots. I frankly haven't delved into calibrations on the FLIR, but since you bring it up I'll do some digging next time I'm fooling around with it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Picked up a new shop vac to replace my trusty old Craftsman that developed emphysema after 15 years of use. This one is a Rigid WD1851, 16 gal/6.5 hp. I like the wheels on this one, the Craftsman had tiny wheels and would always fall over if you tried to drag it by the hose. This one follows me around like a faithful dog. They were generous with the electrical cord as well, 20' compared to the Craftsman's 8 footer.

They give you a canvas bag for the small attachments and it's supposed to snap onto the top of the push handle but got in the way of my modification so I left it off. My Craftsman had a nice tool caddy on it to hold attachments and it just happened to have the same curve as the new vac so a few pop rivets later and it's now on the front of the Rigid.

The Dust Deputy riding piggyback is a cyclone device, similar concept to a Dyson, and spins most of the debris into the bucket while the finest material goes into the vacuum. DD claims it catches 99% of what passes through but in my experience it's probably closer to 90%, depending on what I'm vacuuming.

Final upgrade was the filter. CleanStream makes a HEPA filter for this and it can be used for wet or dry material. If it's dry I just use compressed air to clean it, and if it's wet a garden hose can be used without damage. I once made the mistake of using the Craftsman to vacuum out the old ashes in the fireplace. I managed to coat everything in the room with a fine layer of ash. Mrs. Sky was not pleased. The new setup works like a champ and even drywall dust can't get past the filter.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Went to a sale this am got 2 l.p. tanks 2$ 2 old plastic fuel tanks with the vents and non safety nozzles 2$ box of roofing nails for gun and funnels some other random crap1$ tow straps 22$ and 22000lbs lifting straps that ill use for vehicle recovery 30$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell