what carb to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdeades1987

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey I'm going to be putting in a new gm 350/260hp in my 85 k10 Outdoorsman and I've been told with that engine I have to get a 600cfm carb for the max hp/torque. I don't know much about carbs bUT have been told holley is for racing and edelbrock is for normal driving. My mechanic however has advised me to get a holley cause they are built better he says. He said he wouldn't put a edelbrock on his vehicles. That being said which hollet 600 cfm should I get?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Quadrajet :p All the others are posers :D

mrdeades1987

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Quadrajet :p All the others are posers :D

The problem I have with quadrajet is they are all remanufactured and the quality of them depends on the person who rebuilt it meaning I might get a great one the first time or it may take 10 of them to get a good one

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
The problem I have with quadrajet is they are all remanufactured and the quality of them depends on the person who rebuilt it meaning I might get a great one the first time or it may take 10 of them to get a good one

I have had them work right after bolting them up too. :) I can't say that about a holley. It seems like you have to fine tune them to get them to work. Of course since you have a mechanic then it shouldn't be a problem.:cheers:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I was getting a new carb, I would get a Qjet from SMI Carburetors.

Between the Holley and the Edelbrock, for street use I would go with the Edelbrock.

BTW, I have the tuning parameters (jets, rods, springs) for an Edelbrock 1406 on that engine.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Quadrajet :gr_guns:

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I recommend the quadrajet, of course.
Really, the design was great, small primaries for cruising, and fuel economy, and the power delivered when you need it. The quadrajet will flow 750 cfm when engine demands it and by design, only delivers what the engine needs. So you really can't over carb an engine with a quadrajet.

Many people toss them away, mostly because they are misunderstood. Each GM engine had a quadrajet specific for it, and they don't interchange well.

I build each quadrajet to match the engine it is going on. And I do a complete build, not just clean and kit.

Most new edelbrock will bolt on and do ok for a Chevy. But they tend to have a backward fuel curve at higher rpm and under power can get too lean. Most holley's give you their full cfm at WOT and at low rpm, it may be too much, which is why you guy said the Holley was better for racing.

If you are interested to see what's included in my work, check out quadrajetpower.com or the quadrajetpower group on Facebook.

And thanks for the mention guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet