Weird clunk in front axle-got a theory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Regarding the dana 60 in my 85: The axle set is out of a CUCV with low mileage. Been driving trouble free in my truck for 6K miles. However, I almost always feel a very slight clunk when I turn the wheels when I'm stopped. Its very slight, but noticeable like someone tapped the axle with a hammer.

Recently, while washing the truck I leaned against the wheel and felt ( actually heard that same noise ) and it caught my attention. So I grabbed the tire at the 9 & 3 o'clock position and tried rocking it to see if there was any slack in it. Low and behold if I pushed or pulled the wheel straight in or straight out I could feel a very slight movement. It was so slight I actually couldn't feel it but I could hear it. I went around to the other side and sure enough it did the same exact thing. I'm pretty sure that slight amount of slack is what I'm experiencing.

With that said, I have no experience with a dana 60 or any front solid axle for that matter. My question is if there's a castle nut that preloads the wheel bearing or some form of hub? I'm not sure how the inner and outer axle work together. Is it possible u-joint wear between the two?

Appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The short answer is yes, there is a nut that preloads the axle bearings. It sounds like it’s time to service the hubs. Especially if it came from a military vehicle and you never did it before. It’s a fairly simple procedure and the special socket you need is available to rent for free from any local parts store. I bought mine when I did it because it’s a regular service item that I do every year or two. You pull the hubs down, clean and inspect all the bearings and races, replace the seal at the back of the hub, and then repack and reinstall the hub. When you reinstall the hub, you torque down an inner nut to a set amount, back it off to loose, torque it back down to a lower amount, then back it off something like 1/8-1/4 turn. I’m not sure what the exact specs are for a D60, you’ll need to look them up. Then you install a lock plate that keeps the inner nut from turning(inner nut will be very loose now, this sets it to have a very small amount of end play so it doesn’t burn up when the hub heats up and expands while driving). Then you torque down an outer nut to lock it all in place.

It’s cheap to do, only costs you some grease and a $5 inner hub seal, you won’t need new bearing or races unless it hasn’t been serviced in forever and has therefore gotten damaged. It will probably take an hour or two per side if you have some basic mechanical experience. Plan a whole day if you are very unfamiliar and will need to watch YouTube videos to help yourself through it. They are readily available and it’s a very easy process.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Let's not discount the potential for the kingpins also making the noise.
I have the exact same noise he's referring to in my offroad rig (which uses a D60 kingpin front), and I just serviced the hubs/spindles/bearings and all.

Also^ in regards to what @Bextreme04 just said, kingpin 60s are notorious for backing spindle lock nuts off and the hubs getting loose , and then if left unchecked, substantial damage follows like wiping out axle shafts, which wipe out hubs, and u joints.

Owning and maintaining solid axles like a Dana 60 aren't exactly a "maintenance free, once every 5 years" experience.

Even I, who beats TF out of my d60 service the axle at least once a year. And it's expensive AF

They get full of mud, axle and hub seals break down, and damage follows after that and the only way to really service them is to not be a cheapass and Nickle and dime **** and just buy all the inner and outer seals and bearings, kingpin seals and bearings, dust caps and scrub scrub scrub all the surfaces and put fresh grease and lubricant in them and torque it all to spec.
Obviously you aren't beating your **** up on 18 wide boggers thru mud, BUT, you still live in AZ with sand and dust and ****.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I don't even abuse my stuff with frequent off-roading... but as a holdover from my army maintenance days, anything with greased tapered wheel bearings gets serviced at least once a year. Hub seals and grease is dirt cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL