Value affected on conversion trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randall12v

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
What's people's opinions on value of engine/trans swaps in square bodies? Say take out 400 small block and th400 and replace with something more modern and powerful...LS, Cummins, Duramax, etc.

For example...On a 1980 K30 Cab Chassis truck with no rust and ~16k original miles...will it significantly hurt or help the value? The truck will not be one I plan to sell anytime in near future but rather make into something enjoyable.

You must be registered for see images attach

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Don't think there's much change in value on motor and trans stuff most guys buy in em do what they want

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
For most vehicles it depends on the quality of the work. The powertrain doesn't matter if the installation is a hack job.

The Plattville truck is in another catagory though. It's not the sort of truck you would dd and it's a true survivor. The value is there because it's unique, low mileage, and unmolested. If I saw that in an auction I would pay more if the description said "all original" than if it said "LS swap".

Randall12v

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
For most vehicles it depends on the quality of the work. The powertrain doesn't matter if the installation is a hack job.

The Plattville truck is in another catagory though. It's not the sort of truck you would dd and it's a true survivor. The value is there because it's unique, low mileage, and unmolested. If I saw that in an auction I would pay more if the description said "all original" than if it said "LS swap".

That's kind of the predicament I'm in...it's a true survivor if you want to call it that. Original paint code was midnight black, but it was a Pierce Mfg. fire truck with the skyjacker lift and red/white paint from the Pierce factory...paint code and stamp stickers in cab. I plan to pull the box off and install a bed of some sort. It won't be DD by any means but car shows, cruise nights, nights on the town.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It will get more attention on cruise night just as it sits. Besides, if you party too much you can always crawl in the back for the night.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I thought the same thing. That would be cool to cruise as is.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yeah I'd keep it stock (as-is). But it's not my truck. :cheers:

Latest posts