Temp gauge help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78SierraGrande

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic C25
Engine Size
I have a 1978 C20 454 with a TH400. I have a 4 core radiator. I suspect my temperature gauge is not reading correctly. It runs "normally" between the "c" and the first hash mark. It has never ran "hot", so I don't suspect I have a cooling issue.

My question is, how do I determine if my temp gauge is accurate? Where does the mechanical connection enter the block or water jacket? How would one go about installing an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have a 1978 C20 454 with a TH400. I have a 4 core radiator. I suspect my temperature gauge is not reading correctly. It runs "normally" between the "c" and the first hash mark. It has never ran "hot", so I don't suspect I have a cooling issue.

My question is, how do I determine if my temp gauge is accurate? Where does the mechanical connection enter the block or water jacket? How would one go about installing an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge?
I wanna say the sensor is screwed into the cylinder head inbetween the exhaust ports. Or in the intake it will be a single wire sensor. Just remove the sensor and install your mechanical gauge adapter in there in which ever location your current sensor lives.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
At the work shop, they have a red box that has a bunch of potentiometers in it. There is also a card with different settings listed for the various makes and models of wehicles. Hook that to the temp sending wire then adjust the resistance and read the gauge to see if it is accurate.
The temp sender unit is screwed into the head on the drivers side.
There is a plug on the passenger side head that can be removed and a mechanical gauge installed into it.
do You know what temp of a thermostat is in the engine now ? If it is a 180 then the temp gauge might be accurate.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Get you one of those laser sighted non-contact thermometers from Hope Depot. I bought the green one, and it works well. Point it at the side of the head where the sender is to get an accurate reading so you can compare it to your gauge.

78SierraGrande

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic C25
Engine Size
At the work shop, they have a red box that has a bunch of potentiometers in it. There is also a card with different settings listed for the various makes and models of wehicles. Hook that to the temp sending wire then adjust the resistance and read the gauge to see if it is accurate.
The temp sender unit is screwed into the head on the drivers side.
There is a plug on the passenger side head that can be removed and a mechanical gauge installed into it.
do You know what temp of a thermostat is in the engine now ? If it is a 180 then the temp gauge might be accurate.

It is 180 degrees. I changed it JIC when I got it back on the road. It had sat for about 10 years. I've had the truck since 1993, and it has always run very cool. I now have a wife who I really like, lol, so I don't want to risk her being stranded somewhere due to a faulty gauge. Thank you for your reply.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There appears to be a problem with getting the right senders for some of the older gauges, and it throws them off a little. I've run across articles that provide parts numbers for the right sending unit, but I haven't kept track of the URLs with the info.

On my '75 GMC I have the stock gauge and an under-dash mechanical temp gauge. With a 195 degree thermostat the stock gauge reads a little under the first hash mark when warmed up, and that is about 195 degrees on the mechanical gauge. At about 200 degrees the stock gauge has just reached the hash mark.

Bruce

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
a note on the IR thermometers. the reading you get through metal will be 5-10 degrees cooler then the actual water temp. highdesertranger

Tobe's84Jimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tobe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra Classic
Engine Size
5.7 350
i love how you said you now have a wife you really like. i was married before, divorced, and yes NOW I TOO HAVE A WIFE I REALLY LIKE, ha!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35