Tailgate differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumann666

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom
Engine Size
I recently purchased a '86 C10, 8" fleetside truck. I'm needing a new tailgate and I was surprised to see that 81 and newer is different that '80 and older. Is it a big difference or can an earlier one be made to fit my '86?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
To the best of my knowledge the only difference is that the inset stamped in the 81 up is squared on the corners while the older ones are rounded there.

Seems like I read here that the 73 & 74's may have different mounts than the rest - cannot confirm that.

Here's a pic of the rounded example.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
They also changed the GM logo position on the tailgate. On older trucks like my ‘75, the GMC or Chevrolet was centered on the tailgate. On later vehicles they have the GMC offset to the left and the Chevrolet offset to the right.

I now have an ‘81 ( or later) box and tailgate on my ‘75 truck. I had to also get fuel filler hoses that work with the doors on the newer box, since the old one had fillers that were visible. Other than that, it’s a direct swap/upgrade.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The hinge trunnions are different sizes between the 2 styles of fleet side tailgates.