swapping stuff...hopefully

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So correct me if I'm wrong but I have to have a front driveshaft in to be able to drive with my np203 TC? I'm trying to get a truck going that hasn't driven under its own power for close to ten years... Tried to drive it today for the first time after working on it for about 10 months and it would only move in L1 and reverse....FML...

If that's the case, I gotta do some swapping (I think). I have no front driveshaft in because I put 3/4 ton 3.73s in the rear but still have my original 1/2 ton 3.08s in the front. I have a different front 3.73 3/4 ton axle that'll eventually go in but I want to rebuild it before throwing it in with a loft as well. It does have manual lock outs on it already though.

My questions are: Will the manual lockouts from the 3/4 ton front axle fit the 1/2 ton axle so I can just swap them and run the original axle with front driveshaft in it for now (2wd)?

Also, what's the part number for the front driveshaft u joint? Is there a difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4?

Thanks for the help in advance.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
So your NP203 is still a full time unit, right? It isn't good for the transfer case but it can move if you have it in high lock or low lock. This locks the center differential and will send power to the rear driveshaft.
That being said- it puts a lot of stress on everything and shouldn't be driven like this for long.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So correct me if I'm wrong but I have to have a front driveshaft in to be able to drive with my np203 TC? I'm trying to get a truck going that hasn't driven under its own power for close to ten years... Tried to drive it today for the first time after working on it for about 10 months and it would only move in L1 and reverse....FML...

If that's the case, I gotta do some swapping (I think). I have no front driveshaft in because I put 3/4 ton 3.73s in the rear but still have my original 1/2 ton 3.08s in the front. I have a different front 3.73 3/4 ton axle that'll eventually go in but I want to rebuild it before throwing it in with a loft as well. It does have manual lock outs on it already though.

My questions are: Will the manual lockouts from the 3/4 ton front axle fit the 1/2 ton axle so I can just swap them and run the original axle with front driveshaft in it for now (2wd)?

Also, what's the part number for the front driveshaft u joint? Is there a difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4?

Thanks for the help in advance.

NP203 = full time = requires slugs
NP203 converted to part time = locking hubs

NP203 does not require front drive shaft but you will have to drive the transfer case in 4HI all the time.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yes it still is full time. And yes I'm aware that is not good for it after Google told me :). I did drive it around the house in Lo Lock but that was it.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So does it sound to you guys like my tranny's going or does my problem have to do with my TC?

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Can I run two different great ratios in there if I don't run it in hi-loc or lo-loc?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You cant run two different gear ratios. Not good! haha

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Sorry about that last question, I was talking with my Dad and he had me confused... What I meant to ask was if I could have to different axle ratios in and install a set of manual locking hubs and set them to FREE to get by for a little while (2WD) so I could clean up my correct ratio front axle over the winter before installing it...

But I've decided to just go ahead and throw the correct axle in this weekend without cleaning it up just to get this sucker on the road asap. I've got a deadline in about 2-3 weeks when my wife's due...:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones