Starving for Fuel!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfaulk

Reaction score
First Name
Shad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for all of the reply's. So here is what I did, I ordered 2 sending units and replaced them along with all of the rubber fuel lines. I just drove it yesterday and no issues.

Try running with the gas cap loosened a turn or so. Could be vacuum in the fuel tank as you're driving and using fuel. That fuel should be displaced by air, but if there's a blockage, then when you use enough fuel then a partial vacuum is created in the air space inside the tank, which won't allow fuel flow until the pressure equalizes. If it runs fine after loosening the cap, then you just have to find where it's blocking the vent. Good luck.

So as I was walking to my truck yesterday and a friend of my said the very same thing. He had an issue with another vehicle just like this and replaced the gas cap all was well. It was like a kick in the gut and it made perfect since too. On the way home i stopped by a parts store and got t 2 new gas caps. It didn't hurt anything to replace the old sending units, the fuel pump was shot and the distributor was the original, if it keeps running ok, I'm going to tell my self it was all of that other stuff and not the gas cap to keep form kicking myself. I'm a network tech and we have a saying. Sometimes you cant see the forest for the trees. I automatically went to the hard stuff without looking at the simple stuff.

I'll keep yall up to date.

dfaulk

Reaction score
First Name
Shad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sadly it would only be solving the problem because you would be replacing the entire fuel system.

You mentioned fuel isn't flowing when you take the line off but when you crank it fuel comes out. That's normal, it's not a pressurized system like fuel injection.

Are you running an aftermarket filter? Have you checked the filter in the carb?

I'm really just looking for an excuse to swap;). The sun is shining would also be a good reason....

Also there was no fuel in the bowl. I looked down into the carb and pumped the gas and no fuel was spraying so my assumption was no fuel was pumping into the bowl. I'm no mechanic it just seemed like a logical assumption.

The filter looked good, i am using the OE type fuel filter.

Thank you for you reply!! I need all the help I can get.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I'm really just looking for an excuse to swap;). The sun is shining would also be a good reason....

Also there was no fuel in the bowl. I looked down into the carb and pumped the gas and no fuel was spraying so my assumption was no fuel was pumping into the bowl. I'm no mechanic it just seemed like a logical assumption.

The filter looked good, i am using the OE type fuel filter.

Thank you for you reply!! I need all the help I can get.
Haha sure. Just to clarify you are referring to the filter in the carb correct?

With all that has been done/checked and assuming the fuel system is venting properly. I'm leaning towards what @Snoots and @bucket mentioned. Sock in the tank is clogging or there's a bowl or something gummed up in the carb.

dfaulk

Reaction score
First Name
Shad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Haha sure. Just to clarify you are referring to the filter in the carb correct?

With all that has been done/checked and assuming the fuel system is venting properly. I'm leaning towards what @Snoots and @bucket mentioned. Sock in the tank is clogging or there's a bowl or something gummed up in the carb.

Yes, the filter is in the carb.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Do you have a vacuum pump?

If so then disconnect the fuel line at the input of the fuel pump. Use the vacuum pump to see if it takes more than a little to get the fuel out. If not then it's a carb problem.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
I'm curious if you ever solved your problem.

dfaulk

Reaction score
First Name
Shad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm curious if you ever solved your problem.

Problem seems to be gone, haven't been stranded again. I did a lot at one time not sure what fixed it. Now I'm getting an off idle hesitation which i believe is common with the quadrajet carb..

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You 'did a lot at one time' is not really telling us a lot.
Off idle stumble is a sign of a worn carb pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara