Said goodbye to the splits and mudgrips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Been running the 40+ year old Goodyear Mudgrips on the rear for the past year since I got the old girl back on the road. Unfortunately they were separating from the casing and just not safe. So I finally had to break down and get some new tires for the back. I ended up with Hercules Terra Trac M/Ts. Will replace the fronts this fall with the same. In doing so I also retired the split rims that had been on the truck since it was new. I know the single piece rims are safer but I hated to see those go as well.
The truck spends most of it's time on gravel and is used as a chore truck pulling trailers and hauling whatever so it was worth the cost of the tires. County fair is this week so she can proudly park with the fancy trucks.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Getting rid of split rims is a good idea. Might not be original but rust migrates into all the seams. Tires will run cooler without tubes and liners. Wheels are much lighter. I repaired split rims when these trucks were new. Never liked inflating or even bolting them on.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Getting rid of split rims is a good idea. Might not be original but rust migrates into all the seams. Tires will run cooler without tubes and liners. Wheels are much lighter. I repaired split rims when these trucks were new. Never liked inflating or even bolting them on.
Could not throw them in the iron pile yet. Put them in the corner of the old barn where they will likely be for the next generation to wonder about and try and guess where they came from. I have a couple other trucks that still have splits on them but I am slowly gathering rims to retire those as well. I like the look but just not worth the risk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag