Rubber flooring advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
In the very near future I will be removing my seats to be re-upholstered, and at the same time I intend to install a molded rubber floor "carpet" in my truck while the seats are absent. Is there anything special I need to know in order to accomplish this? Heat shielding was mentioned to me by someone. The cab that I used to build this truck had a home-made carpet in it with no sound deadener. There is ZERO rust on the floors too, so I am ready to get on this.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
So do I need sound deadening material or heat shield material or no? Experts? Also, has anyone else bought and installed these rubber molded "carpets" in their truck? Are they worth it?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Many of the people who are redoing their trucks use it, for quieter ride, better sounding stereo, heat insulation from exhaust pipes right under your feet, etc. If I were you I would consider those things and how far you want to take your build. I think there is an insulation or underlay pad that goes under the rubber, for me that would be good enough.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think most places that sell the rubber floor covering also sell a "jute" padding that is made to go under the rubber mat like the factory stuff. That would probably be good enough for most people.

If you're wanting a little more sound deadening then you could go with Dyna-Mat or something similar.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Definite yes on the Dynamat!! I enjoy the quiet ride and it provides some insulation as well.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Thanks! I may try the Dynamat idea to hear the radio better. I was worried about the insulation soaking up water and destroying the floor like what happened in my Jeep J10 truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think that Dynamat has a pretty tight adhesive the way it looks and should keep moisture between it and the floor surface out. If concerned about that, consider some Monstaliner or Por15 first. Keep in mind though, Por15 is NOT a rust preventative, it's a rust converter. So if there is no rust there now, I wouldn't use it. But do find out if the Dnyamat sticks to the metal first, then decide.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Yes, the Dynamat adheres to the floor very tightly.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, the Dynamat adheres to the floor very tightly.

IMO, that would be the hot ticket in a 4x4. Dynamat, then the OEM fit molded rubber mat. Seen one from LMC somewhere in a pic, it actually seemed as it might be pretty thin. :shrug: We need to find that guy and get a review of his and if anothers exist.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Yes it is a little less than 1/8" thick. Must people never notice it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes