Rear Barn Door Power Lock Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
My burb has the rear barn doors and power locks. The locks work on the 4 passenger doors, but has never worked on the rear barn door in the several years I have owned the truck. I finally broke down and tried to fix it this week. I started with replacing the lock actuator inside the door with a new one. I figured that would do the trick, but no luck.

Next I cleaned the brass contacts on the frame of the cab and the 4-plunger switch on the jamb of the door. I checked power to the contacts on the cab, and power is good. But the actuator still doesn't work. My next step is to try to replace the 4-plunger switch on the jamb of the door (see the photos below of the switch). 2 of the plungers are very stiff. Anyone know where I can get a new one of these switches? I have had no luck tracking them down at standard parts stores. GM said they are discontinued. LMC doesn't carry them. Anybody have a good spare laying around?!

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm trying to make this motorhome run correctly, and there's a four plunger jamb switch very similar to that one on the main door. You might try the motorhome world for something like that. Mine's an '89 Holiday Rambler.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have to look, but I think I might have the switch from a 90 suburban that you are looking for. It is used, which is the main downside. You might be able to take the one you have apart, clean it and put it back together

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to supply 12v to the circuit in the door after the plunger switch to verify that's the problem?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Use a 12v. Battery and apply directrly to one if the terminals. Ground is from door it self i believe(connect battery negative to the door metal)

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Just saw all these messages this morning. Thanks for all the replies!

Update: I did some more testing last night and found that I was getting power to the plug connector at the door lock actuator, but the brand new actuator still was not working. This means the plunger contacts on the door jamb are working fine. WARNING: The following is my best attempt at describing the issue, but does not contain the correct technical lingo... The metal pieces inside the plug connector (on the wiring harness) were actually separated too far apart to touch the metal contacts on the actuator. I squeezed the metal pieces inside the plug together, and VOILA! The actuator works now. BUT, the actuator doesn't have the strength to operate the lock linkage inside the door. I am thinking I need to lube up the linkage components. Will keep you all up to date as I can. I have several projects going on right now on the dirtyburb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35