rear axle seal/gasket replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turpentyne

Reaction score
First Name
chs
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 1973 3/4 ton C20 with 454. My passenger side rear wheel has been leaking oil out onto the wheel. So, time to solve the problem before it burns up.

Problem is, my dad may have just screwed me on this one. He swore up and down, as sacred as anything holy on this planet, that all I had to do was take off the nuts at the wheel hub, pull out the axle, slip on a new gasket that goes right there behind the plate where you screw in the bolts.

Two problems. It really is that simple to pull out, but I see no gasket there.
Second, bigger problem. The axle won't slide back in all the way. I imagine maybe the oil seal in the center of the axle has dropped in the way or something? It's not that it's splines aren't matching up. There is absolutely something that won't let the axle slide back in the last half foot it needs to go.

So, what happened? Is there even a gasket there at the outside wheel plate?? and what am I ACTUALLY supposed to do to repair the leak, and how do I get the axle back in?

(And before it's brought up... No, I don't have a repair manual. Can't afford to get one yet. And the old general Chilton manual said nothing really about this)

EDIT: While I've got somebody's attention, does anybody know what rear axle might be in this truck? It's an 8 bolt hub at the wheel, that's all I know so far.

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
You have a 14 bolt full float if it has not been swapped out and there is usually a thin steel gasket or shim between the axle and the hub , but you really dont need it . There is no seal in the housing for the axle. Tilt the axle up so oil does not run out , clean the surfaces really well and use silicone , no more leak. What I do is get two heal bars and put them in the bolt holes of the axle so you can lean back on them to center the axle. You will feel the axle kind of go into place a little then rotate the axle to line up the splines and it will slide right in. There is a side gear in there it has to go in. If that does not work you have some bigger problems inside the diff.

Good luck

turpentyne

Reaction score
First Name
chs
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
EDIT: NEVER mind... Finally got it lined up, and it slid in.

Phew!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70meyers