Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
I just re-read what 77k20 said about the sides rolling up, that is cool i like the safari look- that's basically what i'm going for. But i have too much time on my hands so i still might attempt my idea. And i haven't checked to see if their are any available covers around me; if i could find one used id definitely just go with the soft topper. And thanks again guys for the help this forum is very helpful.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
One thing I forgot to mention- with both this top or using a regular tonneau cover you have the open bed stake holes. I bought some plastic block off plates and used a bit of silicone to seal them. I didn't want any rain/snow/dust getting into the bed from those holes.

I also used some weather stripping around the tailgate to help seal it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Have you considered just a conventional soft tonneau cover?
Tri fold or roll up, both fold up or remove completely in a couple minutes. Dry storage up to top of bed rails, open truck bed instantly. And most can be opened and remain attached to the truck if you need the room and not at home to remove and store it.

I quit doing toppers for the same reason. After you take it off and on any more than a couple times a year it looses its luster.

No not really, it doesn't seem like I see them much, or I haven't been paying attention, so I know little about them. Most folks I know or come into the shop seem to run open bed or put a conventional canopy on for life. The few we do see are the hard fiber glass covers and those just seem ridiculously restrictive to me.

Do you have or have you had a conventional soft tonneau? I know your at least from the same state as I do they hold up ok to all the rain?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Yes they’d last me a lifetime unless they get broke. Nephews used the last one for a trampoline so it only made it about 10 years. Although my trucks are garaged.
Keeps rain and snow out completely.
Have had one on the last 3 trucks. Personal rigs, Not on my work trucks though.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
^Yes they’d last me a lifetime unless they get broke. Nephews used the last one for a trampoline so it only made it about 10 years. Although my trucks are garaged.
Keeps rain and snow out completely.
Have had one on the last 3 trucks.
I was just looking and some have bows, some do not, I'm not keen on the idea of bows. I'm kind of liking Truxedo truxport tonneau cover and at, if it'll last for me say 10 years the $300 is affordable. Do you remember the brand you have?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was just looking and some have bows, some do not, I'm not keen on the idea of bows. I'm kind of liking Truxedo truxport tonneau cover and at, if it'll last for me say 10 years the $300 is affordable. Do you remember the brand you have?
I’d have to look but I’ve had basically whatever the cheapest ones are. $200ish. Can’t say how long they last if they sit outside all year though.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had a 2003 Silverado 2500. It was garaged. I used it to cover up the 5th wheel hitch when I wasn't towing. They have an aluminum "frame" that attaches to the bed rails... but instead of mounting on the top of the rails like the softopper it mounts to the inside edge. These aluminum rails have velcro attached to it. So when reaching over the bed rails (Silverado was tall) to lock/unlock the 5th wheel hitch it would scratch up the inside of my arm.

The roll up soft tonneau cover itself doesn't use any bows in it. Instead they have a tensioner. Near the tailgate you hook the cover into the side rails and press down firmly to "lock" it in place. This then puts tension on the cover so it isn't all floppy. To release the tension and roll it up there is a release latch just inside the tailgate.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’d have to look but I’ve had basically whatever the cheapest ones are. $200ish. Can’t say how long they last if they sit outside all year though.
I appreciate the info, my truck unfortunately does have to be outside. The one I was just looking at comes with a 5 year warranty, so even if it crapped out the next day I'm think the $300 would be worth while vs alternatives. Thinks for suggesting this I will be putting some thought into it for sure.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I had a 2003 Silverado 2500. It was garaged. I used it to cover up the 5th wheel hitch when I wasn't towing. They have an aluminum "frame" that attaches to the bed rails... but instead of mounting on the top of the rails like the softopper it mounts to the inside edge. These aluminum rails have velcro attached to it. So when reaching over the bed rails (Silverado was tall) to lock/unlock the 5th wheel hitch it would scratch up the inside of my arm.

The roll up soft tonneau cover itself doesn't use any bows in it. Instead they have a tensioner. Near the tailgate you hook the cover into the side rails and press down firmly to "lock" it in place. This then puts tension on the cover so it isn't all floppy. To release the tension and roll it up there is a release latch just inside the tailgate.
From what I was just looking at it seems like the soft tonneau covers are available with the rail inside the bed or on top depending on brand. I think I'd go for on top, and my truck is a 2wd so that helps some with height, but that is an important thing to consider.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
I appreciate the info, my truck unfortunately does have to be outside. The one I was just looking at comes with a 5 year warranty, so even if it crapped out the next day I'm think the $300 would be worth while vs alternatives. Thinks for suggesting this I will be putting some thought into it for sure.
We have one on a 15' f250, it's worked really great we got it with the truck it never sags or anything. ill check on the brand tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey