Original Tape Player Eats Tapes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1971

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
First off i know, better radios out there but im a purist i like the old tape players. That being said, i dont want an aftermarket. I have the original am fm tape player but its eating tapes. Like somethings broken inside kinda eating. Never fails it immediately eats it. Otherwise would work. Anybody know of a repair place in North Carolina pr have any advice that would lead me to a solution myself? Im fairly handy but definately not an expert. I love my tapes! Please help. Trying to keep this time machine going!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Good lookin radio! Looks like mine but with a tape deck.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The capstan and pinch roller are gunned up with iron oxide.

I used to use chlorinated solvents to clean tape rollers, capstans, and heads. It strips the iron oxide audio and video tape goo off the metal and rubber parts. Methylene dichloride is the other name for what I used. It's nasty ****. Not as foul as the neurotoxin Methylene Chloride they used in the old carb cleaners in the 70's that actually worked... but it's still something to have a good healthy respect for.

Some scary trivia... Methylene Chloride is used to strip caffeine out of coffee to make decaf.

This stuff works on some pinch roller formulations but not others...

It probably goes without saying but I'll say it anyway... DO NOT USE IT INDOORS OR IN THE CAB OF YOUR TRUCK or any other enclosed space. Set up a table outside in the driveway with a breeze at your back or a fan to make a breeze at your back blowing it away from you. Use chemical resistant gloves. Chlorinated solvents will go right through your skin.

Last edited:

GMC1971

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hatzi, i have tried that already with a head cleaning tape but it just eats the tape! Tried qtips but that doesnt seem to work and its hard to reach. I dont want to take it apart if i dont have to but i will if all else fails

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hatzi, i have tried that already with a head cleaning tape but it just eats the tape! Tried qtips but that doesnt seem to work and its hard to reach. I dont want to take it apart if i dont have to but i will if all else fails

If it's gotten that bad you'll have to disassemble it and pull out the soft pinch roller or at least get access to it. There are gurus that do this kind of work. It might be worth finding one of them. They can clean it up and make it almost new again and they won't bork the deck.

GMC1971

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Finding one is hard it seems lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The old school KM2 A/T is still my favorite tire, especially the 315/16s.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Tried qtips but that doesnt seem to work and its hard to reach.

What was on the Q-Tip?

You can get those looong ones at CVS. I always used (to some peoples cringing) 91 percent alcohol.
Cringe away but it worked and I never had a pinch roller dry up or crack.

GMC1971

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did not try long ones yet ill have to try again next week i drive a truck and all out of time. I think its past that point though im gonna take it apart next week and clean ill the parts with alcohol and blow it dry with some keyboard duster

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads