No power to distributor or start wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redrocket86

Reaction score
First Name
keller
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hi everyone I’m new and suck at electrical diagnostic but my 86 c20 has no power to the distributor nor start wire i get power to the ignition switch and I tried to jump the terminals for the start wire and nothing it originally had a 6.2 diesel but that broke (my fault) but I swapped in a 350. I have power to my radio and fan and the turn signals on the dash but not outside? I really don’t want to rewire my truck lol help!!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
maybe there is a fusible link burned up?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Get a test light or multi-meter. My best guess is that you have a blown or disconnected fusible link.

redrocket86

Reaction score
First Name
keller
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
bypassed them but I removed my front clip previously so I wouldn’t be surprised if a few grounds broke but i don’t know where the grounds are I only see 2

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So if I remember correctly when I did a 6.2 to 350 conversion the wire that ran the glow plug relay was our coil wire.

On a tbi the wire come from the battery to the alternator to the junction box on fire wall then through firewall to ignition switch then back through the fire wall to coil.

I was having problems with my coil loosing 12v and found the the ignition switch was making a bad connection. Cleaned up and made that wire a switch for a relay for the coil so the coil got a 12v straight from the battery and truck never ran better.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
So I figured it out god I feel so dumb but the bulkhead connector was loose lol

Happened to me. Things were all kinds of wonky under the hood and I accidentally bumped the connector while doing something else - thankfully - and that's how I found it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC