New user from Pa with an R2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
Just joined...I am/was a member of full size chevy but I use forums more for technical issues than I do socializing and 'other sites' are good at socializing and adolescent behaviour...but ask a question about info say....on the VECI and you get blank stares or insults.

Long time truck user - I went Ford out of college and hung a quarter mil on my F series until cancer took the frame, replaced it from down south and gave it to my kid as he turned 16. In the meantime, I found a 90 R2500 (not a 73-87, but was unchanged until later) from out west with a big block and 80K on the clock. Got it for $3G off ebay and got offered twice that on the drive back at a gas station. (12.9mpg best means you see a lot of gas stations)

It never saw salt or hard use so rather than use it in our biz as a covered replacement for the F series, its becoming our show truck.

Personally, for some odd reason the 78-79 squarebody is my all time fav, with the short bed stepside more so.

The wife and I have day jobs, but are also antiquers so we blended that with my sordid past of restoring vehicles (station wagons, trucks, honda motor cycles) and dig parts out of barns and basements. I am factory trained from GM back in the good ole days when I didnt know what I wanted to do when I grew up so at times I appear to have a clue. We are vendors at ATN at Carlisle and starting in 2016, Fall Carlisle as well. Our goal is to have the sub at least in the fun field next summer.

About the sub, its as stated a 90 R2500, BUT! its also a 8600lb GVW vehicle. Not many of those made that year. It means I can haul more stuff and have a full floater, but it also means the emission info is extremely hard to find online. The ECM cal is way different making some of the parts expen$ive - like the cat for example.

Our goals for the truck are, besides bolting on cool billet pieces are:

4L80E swap with the TCI controller, in place of the 400. T304 or T409 SS dual exhaust, aluminum wheels with holes big enuf to get over the full floater, and most importantly, a 3rd seat install. I have been told that 84-91 fabric is the same color so I want a lap belted blue colored 3rd seat and pictures how to cut/weld in the mounts :), we just got a factory luggage rack with the strakes to install over the winter and wanna yank the motor to re-bearing/seal it and add some dress up.

Attachments

• sub boat 1.jpg
    sub boat 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Welcome, glad you're here.

Looks like you have some fun plans in store. Nice rig cant wait to see it progress. I may not be able to answer the above question about emission info but I'm sure someone will have some insight soon for you

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size