New to forums and new to Chevys.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello all. I am a proud 3rd owner of a stock 82 with a 350. I have only worked on old fords, scouts, and , mgbs so chevy is new to me. I have searched but can not find a good reference for what I need. I want to know what can be removed from a stock unmolested 350. All these damn hoses get on my nerves. I want to be able to put an aftermarket filter on so carb adjustments are easier. Basically, where does one start in simplifying this engine. I would like to clean out any unneeded hoses etc. Plus get rid of cruise control components. I have a quadrajet card. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I would keep the quadrajet, and as far as i know, the only vacume lines im running on my 76 are the carb to PWR brakes, intake to trans, and the little carb only lines. There arnt any canisters or anything in my system.

Mabey John or HRPC or someone else will chime in.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You would first need to tell us what vacuum diagram you have, which is located on either the top of the radiator support/grille or on the inner fender. Then you could look at what to eliminate. This is assuming you do not have emissions to pass in your state/county.

2nd, eliminating the cruise control depends on what trans you have. If you have a 700r4, you cannot eliminate the cruise control unless you get creative with wiring. Torque converter lockup from the factory is controlled by a series of switches.. one of these is switches is built into the cruise control/brake pedal switch. If you unplug the cruise control, it does not allow the switch to "open/close" therefore you will not have lockup. trust me I tried on my 83, you would have to "jump" a wire in the switch...your other option is to buy an aftermarket lockup wiring, then you could yank the cruise out.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If this is one with the AIR injection pump and You live somewheres where You do`nt have to get it smogged,then,the pump and the AIR injection system could be eliminated,but then the cat convertor does`nt operate up to full potential and it will eventually plug from not getting hot enough.
Personally,Myself,I leave all that crap on,it really does`nt affect the output of the engine that much,just nor accustomed to seeing these units all smogged up is all.
Then Qjets is a real good carb so if it were Me,I would keep that,and,the cruise control is nice when driving distances.I do`nt use Mine all of the time because I can get better fuel mileage by not using it,but it does come in handy when the O`l foot needs a break.
Oh Yeah,welcome in and happy motoring.
I too have a MG-B roadster,78 model,converted to twin carbs,soon to go FI with the Patton Machine SU carb adapters.

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. I will take some pictures this weekend of what i have.

Mr Marty, good to have another MGB owner on here. I have a 73 chrome bumper with a weber conversion. I still have aways to go on getting it running and driving. I would like to see some pictures of your setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue