New starter/battery - still clicks on start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
1986 K10, 350, AT.

Recently, the starter crapped out on my K10. Would turn the key and get the rapid clicking from the solenoid. A couple attempts and it would start. Finally, it would not start. Just click and not turn over. I ended up having a small electrical fire where the wires connect to the starter after several attempts to crank the motor. Really, it was the coating on the wires that was burning. Wire from the starter to the pos terminal of the battery melted, not from fire, but from a bad ground or short? Battery was pretty hot to the touch.

So, removed starter, had it tested and it failed. Even smoked when on the test bench. Installed a brand new starter with solenoid- not rebuilt; brand new battery top mount rather than side mount - fully charged; new positive and negative battery cables - 2 gauge; new wires to starter (3 red wires to the large post and and 1 purple wire to the small post) - went to start it and the motor cranks over like it should, truck starts right up and runs great, but the starter still has the rapid clicks while the engine is cranking. Once it starts, the click stops. Starter is not getting not, wires, cables and battery are not getting hot.

I am still thinking I have a bad ground somewhere, but I not sure where to look next. As I am new to these trucks, I wonder if they suffer a similar lack of ground wires as some other vehicles. The negative battery cable is bolted to the bracket that the alternator is mounted on. I would be more inclined to bolt it to the frame rail or the block but figured there may be some magical reason for it being where it is.

• Any ideas why the starter still clicks briefly while the motor is cranking?
  • Is a bad ground a likely cause?
  • Is there an ignition switch relay between the ignition switch and the starter? If so, where is it located?
  • Would a faulty ignition switch cause this issue?

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.
Chris

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Bad battery right out of the box isn't impossible, use a multi meter and check voltage drop. If the volts at the battery drops below 10 while cranking the battery is bad. Take it back where you got it they should be able to do a load test on it, just make sure its fully charged when you bring it in or they will have to charge it in order to run the test.

You may also be on to something with the ground thing, be sure you've got good clean grounds from the frame to the cab to the block to frame to the battery. If in doubt you could run an extra ground (same size as your battery cables) directly to one of the bolts that hold the starter in. If the problem stays it eliminates grounds as the problem.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just wanted to update. The new starter tested bad. Replaced with another brand new one and problem was resolved.

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just wanted to update. The new starter tested bad. Replaced with another brand new one and problem was resolved.

WOW, I mean just WOW. What brand and where did you buy it? These stores should compensate a customer for labor when that **** happens.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Don't remember brand, bought at AutoZone. Seems to be hit and miss with electrical parts from AZ and Napa.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I searched and searched and finally found an actual Delco starter at O'Reilly. I figured if the 1st one lasted 25 years, might as well go back with that.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I searched and searched and finally found an actual Delco starter at O'Reilly. I figured if the 1st one lasted 25 years, might as well go back with that.

Nice choice.
was it a made in the USA unit, rebuilt or brand spanking new ???

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
We put 9 starters on one of our k30's in a row from autozone before we got a good one. It last less than a week and it went out. I can buy acdelco new ones at local supply house for $15 more than auto zoos so I've never went back to the zoo for starters since.

By the way the new ac delco starter I bought last week has a sticker on it made in china now just so you know.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
We put 9 starters on one of our k30's in a row from autozone before we got a good one. It last less than a week and it went out. I can buy acdelco new ones at local supply house for $15 more than auto zoos so I've never went back to the zoo for starters since.

By the way the new ac delco starter I bought last week has a sticker on it made in china now just so you know.

Fuckers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek